CUP RUN CONTINUES FOR UEA

UEA 5-1 Thorpe Village: UEA move a step closer in their bid to retain the Cyrill Ballyn Trophy.

With a 100% league record Thorpe Village promised to provide a stern test. The initial signs showed this to be the case as Thorpe exerted some early pressure from corners and seeing one effort cleared off the line.

The away side came close again with a free-kick on the edge of the box that was deflected narrowly over the bar.

UEA were looking to get their passing game going but found the route to goal blocked by a resolute Thorpe defence.

UEA came close to opening the scoring on the quarter hour mark, Dingli showing persistence to win the ball in the final third picked out Skidmore who blazed his shot just over the bar.

It was the away side though that broke the deadlock. A long throw into the box found an unmarked Thorpe man back post; he made no mistake with a half-volley to give the team in Barcelona colours the lead.

UEA looked for an instant response and soon had the ball in the net only for it to be adjudged offside. The home side continued to get forward with Dingli forcing a fine save from the keeper and Calvo’s follow up effort denied by an excellent block.

From the following corner UEA got back on level terms. The ball fell to Dingli who controlled with a question of handball but made no mistake with the finish lashing the ball into the roof of the net.

It was a goal that had been coming for UEA and in terms of possession one they certainly deserved.

Thorpe came close to retaking the lead soon after as a teasing cross evaded the defence picking out a Thorpe forward who saw his header flash just wide.

It was UEA however who found the games third goal as the first half neared its conclusion. It was a carbon copy of his first as Dingli again had time in the box to control and drill into the bottom corner to give UEA a slender first half advantage.

Dingli (left of photo) gives UEA the lead.

It had certainly been a tougher examination of UEA’s credentials against more testing opposition with the home side showing their character to recover from the early setback.

UEA were having a lot of the ball early in the second half but Thorpe twice came close to getting back on level terms.

First Thorpe picked up on some loose defending and sent a firm strike just wide of the post. Then UEA’s keeper Charlie Savage was called into evasive action rushing out to meet a Thorpe striker in a committed challenge. With Savage out of his area an ambitious long range effort from Thorpe dropped just behind the empty goal.

UEA continued to search for a third and really should have got it as left-back Harle picked out Dingli with a fine cross but the forward could not divert towards goal.

Into the final twenty UEA upped their game and found that elusive third goal as Calvo latched onto a long ball and fired past the keeper.

That strike galvanized the home side and they soon made it four. Dingli and Richards linked up well to pick out Chapman who evaded his marker firing into the top corner from twelve yards.

UEA continued to stream forward against a clearly demoralised Thorpe side and scored a fifth heading into the final minute. Chapman picked out Dingli with a quality through ball and the striker slotted home for his hat-trick to make it 5-1.

UEA showed great resolve to come back from a goal down and saw off a Thorpe side that put in a decent shift. UEA certainly didn’t have it all their way but the quality shone through in the final third of the game clinically putting the game to bed.

Next up for UEA, Cromer Reserves in the league.