How To… Survive A Norwich House Party

The LCR is great and all, but wouldn’t some of you prefer a good old fashioned house party?

The leaves are changing, Fresher’s week is over and the organised ones amongst us are starting to think about deadlines.

But while we might be getting a little tired of the LCR (It never seems quite as silly or fun after the first couple of weeks) that doesn’t mean that the fun has to stop.

Halloween is coming up, and after my traumatic experiences at the Waterfront last year, I’m looking forward to a good old fashioned house party.

Norwich is a wonderfully unique student environment and the parties are no exception. However, as we all know, the best ones can get out of hand pretty quickly.
As important as it is to relax and have a good time, savvy behaviour can make all the difference and help you avoid being robbed, beaten up or arrested.
On arrival, it is important to behave accordingly with how well you know the host. If you do, you can swagger confidently over the threshold and find your friends.
But if you don’t? Act like you do anyway, avoid aggravating people (sod’s law they probably live there) and for goodness sake do not break anything.
If you’ve brought your own alcohol, keep it on your person at all times or hide it somewhere bizarre where even the drunkest fools won’t think to look. My personal favorite spots are underneath the sofa and in the top of the toilet.
Gross as it sounds, as long as the top is screwed on properly I can guarantee no one is going to want to nick it. And there’s no risk of it getting warm, either.
Once your booze is safe and you’ve managed to enter the building without difficulty you can turn your hand to a number of activities.
There’s always a plethora of characters at a student house party and depending on what kind of person you are, you will end up in one of the following places.
  1. Crying in someone’s bedroom. You are drunk and the picture of their nan is making you homesick. You probably don’t even like your nan that much.
  2. Holding someone’s hair back in the bathroom. You are a good samaritan or you don’t know anybody.
  3. Standing awkwardly in a corridor with the three other people you know.
  4. Sitting on a sofa, alone, licking your lips at scared looking Fresher girls.
  5. Doing the running man in the middle of the dancefloor and getting away with it because you’re a top bloke.
  6. Smoking outside
  7. Queueing awkwardly for the bathroom, texting
  8. Having deep in depth conversation about cinema with a total stranger, adding them on Facebook and never talking to them again.
  9. Trying to get the DJ to put your playlist on, despite the fact that your playlist is predominantly Cheryl.
  10. Screaming ‘LET’S GO TO KARTEL’ and being ignored.
Cues for your departure may include: you or one of your friends vomiting, the lights being turned on, someone putting Nickelback on or sunrise. If the party in question is being held at your house, however, bed time can be more of an obstacle.
But if everything is really, really too much you can always try filing a noise complaint against yourself. That way, when the police arrive you can try your best damsel in distress act and cry, “oh officer, thank god you’re here. These people just won’t leave!”
And if none of this works for you you can always start a campaign to bring back the American house parties at the newly refurbished Hideout. After all, what’s a party without a lukewarm paddling pool filled with spilt booze and drunk locals?