Islamic Centre to Remain Open

UEA are in the process of applying for permission for the building to remain open until 2014.

Plans to shut the Islamic centre have been postponed, with UEA to request permission to have the centre remain open until 2014.

The university had decided to close the building, located next to the CD Annex, in an attempt to integrate all faiths into the Chaplaincy building at the main square.

But the university changed their position on the debate after students protested against the decision. The centre is used by the local community and Islamic students for worship.

A UEA spokesman told Norwich Evening News, “The University of East Anglia is committed to meeting the needs of the diverse range of faith groups within the campus community.

“In the meantime, both the multi-faith chaplaincy and the building housing the current Islamic prayer facility will remain open.”

Norwich South MP Simon Wright told Norwich Evening News, “The centre was also referred to in the university’s prospectus for the coming year. I think it’s a very sensible move to take this step.”

UEA have applied to the City Council to renew permission for the centre to remain on campus until June 30, 2014.