Calling all Comedy Connoisseurs!

Nathan Willcock gives the lowdown for the comedy scene in Norwich, for both budding comedians and people who just want to chuckle!

birdcage comedy giggle headlights sketches stand up uea

Comedy seems to be everywhere at the moment. You can’t switch on the TV without seeing a comedian leaping around on stage, or firing witticisms from behind a desk.

But it’s a true and comforting thought that all these people, with their names in lights and their audience in stitches, once played to a fractional crowd in the backroom of a pub.

Norwich is home to a similar petri dish of emerging comedic talent, boasting a vibrant, diverse and, above all, welcoming comedy scene.

So whether you want to see the next generation of Michael McIntyres or Stewart Lees for under a fiver, or you think you’re funny and could do it better than the Live at the Appollo-ers, here is your ultimate guide to live comedy in Norwich.

Nathan Willcock’s Stand Up About Nick Clegg

The best place to start as a UEA student/wannabe comedian is at Headlights, the University Comedy Society.

The society does everything from improvised comedy (inspired by shows such as Whose Line Is It Anyway?) to writing and performing sketches, culminating in an end of year showcase supporting a professional troupe.

If you are a budding stand-up, however, the regular nights at The Grad Bar (just above the Hive on campus) make for an ideal comedy debut, guaranteeing a friendly, entirely student crowd and cheap drinks for just a little Dutch courage – both great for soothing those first-gig nerves.

What’s more, these events are often attended by the local comedy promoters, so your first gig will often lead to your second, most likely right in the heart of Norwich.

David Seymour – Chortle Student Comedy Awards 2012

There are plenty of new act nights taking place in the city centre, providing a chance for anyone to have a go.

The Birdcage New Comedy Cabaret is perhaps the longest-running of these, and is held on the first Wednesday of every month – search for it on Facebook and nab yourself a spot, or just turn up and have a giggle for the princely sum of £2.

If that’s stretching the budget a little, there’s always The Lounge on St. Benedict’s Street, providing a mixture of open spots and more established acts, absolutely free.

For the comedy connoisseurs amongst you, ‘Comic Potential’ takes place every month at Olives on Elm Hill (the next one is on November 8th).

This night is your best chance to see the finest new comedians in the country, handpicked by people in the know , before they get massive (in terms of status, not some bizarre comedic weight gain), and all for under a fiver.

All in all, there’s plenty to see and do in Norwich for givers and receivers of mirth, and everyone who attends these nights, acts and audience alike, agrees that it’s a fun, funny and financially-sound night out. So, what are you waiting for? Start supporting local comedy!

For more info on all these nights, visit www.facebook.com/norwichcomedy

UEA Headlights meet every Friday at 7pm in the INTO Building on Campus