Battle of the Bars Day 5: Wonderland

The Final Battle of the Bars, Wonderland.

Project nightclub has received a quirky facelift. Out with the garish lights, prison-like booths and strange upside down alien- orb thing, and in with the theme of Alice and Wonderland, radiating fairytale and intrigue.

This dazzling new club conjures up our childhood memories of the classic Alice in Wonderland, except with more Jagerbombs and indie songs about teenage angst. Forget falling down the rabbit hole, Alice should’ve hopped on the number 25 bus and got herself to Wonderland.

The club has taken on a more vibrant, sophisticated look, with less seating to put a greater emphasis on dancing but still with the mass chant of ‘she’s got a brand new car, looks like a Jaguar…’ that many students will fondly remember. The Karaoke room has made its return as a haven for those who want to get their diva on, though perhaps a double vodka and coke might be required first!

Fridays are home to the weekly ‘Propaganda’ event. Advertised as ‘the UK’s biggest Indie night,’ it certainly lived up to its promises last week with Verne Troyer, (AKA ‘Mini-Me’ from Austin Powers) making an appearance. The club was packed, with no awkward ‘I’m walking across an empty dancefloor’ situation.

The music left space to grind, jig, jump and spin with a variation of Artic Monkey’s, Florence and The Machine and more. With Shots (cue Lil Jon singing ‘shots, shots shots, shots!’) priced at £2 each or 3 for £5, it is easy to be seduced into Sambucas or teased by Tequila. The Jagerbombs are flowing and there are many cocktail combinations that will have you beaming wider than the Cheshire Cat.

Spot the Hare: A few of Wonderland’s happy clubbers

Wonderland heralds itself as ‘the club that saved the world.’ Decide for yourself this Friday at Propaganda. £4 Entry.

Main Nights:

Monday: Rough Hill with Plus 1

Friday: Propaganda (Indie Night)

Saturday: Follow the Rabbit

The Score:

Atmosphere:  4/5

Music: 4/5

Price: 3/5 (1= cheap)

Queue: 3/5 (1= bad queue)

Stickiness Factor: 4/5 (5= top marks for non-stickiness!)

Perv Factor: 2/5

Overall Score: 20/30