UEA Merch: Yay or Nay?

Love it or loathe it? UEA merch is like marmite. Claire Kidman and Laura Ruiz share their views.

Claire Kidman tells us why it’s a ‘nay’ from her:

Oh, UEA. You may be wonderful, but do I really want your name emblazoned across my chest in plastic writing?

Sure, it’s a Wednesday, you have a hangover and you’re spending the entire day with Don Draper and Ben & Jerry. We’ve all been there, my friend.

The UEA hoodie is your comfort blanket during these difficult times. University clothing is also the ultimate gym attire, but wearing your hoodie to class or town? Must try harder.

I won’t be alone in saying that I spend a lot of money on clothes. Admittedly, I may be worse than most—my study became a walk-in wardrobe on day one—but a quick glance around campus shows that people put effort into what they wear.

Clothes are an external expression of your personality and style; what you choose to wear says a lot about you. If I got up in the morning and put on my UEA hoodie, ignoring a wardrobe full of carefully chosen clothes, what would that day’s outfit say about me? “Oh, wow, that girl likes UEA.” Of course I do, I go here. I don’t need my love of UEA written on me in giant letters.

Now if you’re reading this whilst wearing a UEA hoodie, move away from the comment box. When I agreed to write this article my two housemates, both in university hoodies, shot me hurtful looks from the sofa.

I’m not against UEA hoodies (mine’s navy, in case you were wondering), I just don’t believe they should be worn in lieu of normal clothes. What’s wrong with a woolly jumper, a leather biker jacket, or a nice coat? UEA hoodies should be reserved for duvet days, the gym, and when you can’t afford to turn up the heating.

Claire Kidman

Do you wear your rabbit on your sleeve?

According to Laura Ruiz we should be wearing the UEA logo with pride:

Our style is a great part of who we are, of how we want the world to see us, and it’s constantly changing.

Personal style is a reflection of how you want to be perceived during a certain phase of your life.

A woman wearing Chanel does not intend other people to think she is just an average woman, but the opposite, she wants people to think she is successful and elegant.

Similarly, goths or hippies want to show the world that they are different, that they have their own views, and they’re proud of them.

Therefore, why shouldn’t we be proud of wearing a UEA t-shirt or hoodie? For most of us this means years of hard work and dedication, something we’re proud of, as well as being part of a great university. We’re university students and we want everyone to know that!

They’re also available in lovely colours that combine with practically everything, and can save you from panicky mornings where you have no idea what to wear and you’re late for a lecture!

Granted, you’re not going to find them in the latest edition of Harper’s Bazaar, but they provide a comfortable, versatile and simple clothing option for those stressful uni days.

Laura Ruiz