Scouting For Goals

Joey Millar walks you through UEA’s alternative football teams.

In terms of things that the University of East Anglia has in abundance, football is right up there along with rabbits and concrete.

As already reported by The Tab, UEA FC has got off to a great start to the season.

However, for those who might shy away from the ultra-competitiveness or financial cost of official BUCS sport, there are plenty of eleven-a-side footballing alternatives at UEA.

UEA FC – not your only choice

The UEA Christian Union provide two teams. They play in the Norfolk Christian Football League but anyone is welcome to join “regardless of belief”- you don’t even have to be a member of the CU to play. This is a friendly alternative to the official UEA football team, with some great socials thrown in too. (Facebook page)

The African-Carribean Society also has a team. They play in the same division as the Christian Union, giving the league a definite UEA touch. The “derby” games between the two student sides are always fun, too. (Facebook page)

As well as having their own (and, for the time being, UEA’s only) rugby side, the UEA Medics also have a football team. They play in the Norwich & District Saturday League, and their next game is a tasty fixture against the official UEA Reserves side. (Facebook page)

If all else fails, you could take a leaf out of Deltic FC‘s book. Wanting a cheaper, more casual alternative to the official UEA set-up, the group of students founded their own team in 2010. Three seasons on, the club is stronger than ever, and currently lead the Norwich Sunday Friendly League.

So, not making the UEA squad is not the end of your footballing dreams at university. There are plenty of other teams you can play for, as well as the option to go ahead and make your own!