Why I completed a marathon for Cancer Research

Julian Pickering, a former student at UEA, tells us about his fundraising exploits.

On Saturday I walked the SHINE midnight marathon to raise money for Cancer Research UK.

I did it for 3 reasons. To give something back to the charity that saved my life when I had Leukaemia in 2006, to commemorate the life of my friend who died (during my final year at UEA) from Leukaemia and to give hope to those in the future who get the terrible disease.

So far I have raised £2540 but want to get as much money donated in the next few weeks as possible before my justgiving page shuts.

Cancer affects 1 in 3 of us. But of those it does affect the survival rate continues to climb. Please give anything you can to help create more effective treatments that have less detrimental affects to the patient and most importantly of all to give a far better chance of survival.

I know you are all students but even the smallest donation means that you are making a stand against a disease that picks anyone and everyone without prejudice. It will either ruin or take their life and we can’t afford to stand and do nothing anymore.

I walked 26.2 miles through London through a lot of pain because it’s nothing compared to how millions of people are feeling in their hospital beds right now.

Until the survival rate is 100% our work is not done.

Please give to the cause: http://www.justgiving.com/julesvleuk