Five Tips to Help you through Uni: Tip 5

It is the fifth and final tip from Katie Monks, on workload

Work load.

Don’t underestimate this. I know that everyone says first year is a complete doss and that it doesn’t count, so you don’t have to try. I’ll tell you something, these people are wrong.

Okay, so the marks you receive don’t technically count towards the final mark of your degree, however, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t count for anything. I’d like to remind you all that you must receive 40% overall to pass your first year, meaning that you must get at least 40% per module and 40% per assignment. If you don’t, you won’t get into your second year, and your student life will be over. I told you first year counted for something.

Of course you can do re-sits, but these are usually capped at 40%, meaning that is the highest grade you can get. So aim for higher while you can.

And even if you do get the 40%, you may find yourself regretting this later in your university life, wishing that you tried harder, because, let’s face it, you had the ability, you were just too lazy.

Plus, 40% can be a harder target to reach than you think; university lectures, seminars, assignments and exams are run completely different to A-level, and so it can take some time to get used to it; it certainly did for me. It can also be difficult to find the technique that works for you when it comes to essays and assignments. Many students don’t get to grips with these skills until their second year, having found their feet in their first.

So have fun, but do apply yourself, you’ll be glad you did in the long run.

So there you have it, my five top tips for new students, and old. There is still a lot to learn, but I think I’ve rambled on for long enough and most of you probably just want to get out there and enjoy your time at university. I don’t blame you, enjoy all those half remembered nights in the LCR, but also don’t forget why you came here in the first place.