Norfolk’s Music: An Alternative

Most of you have probably already been to the LCR at least a handful of times, but UEA Freshers’ isn’t the only show in town.

Norwich boasts a huge variety of haunts catering to every taste and genre.

For those of the alternative persuasion the Potergate located Birdcage is prime territory. Boasting the unique combination of ‘Coffee, Cupcakes, Cabaret and Cocktails’, the Birdcage has a relaxed, artistic atmosphere. Fashion magazines and board games can be found floating around and local musicians (mostly of the acoustic variety) can often be found performing at the Birdcage, cementing its place as one of the most fashionable joints in the city. If you fancy a bit of kookiness in your life give the Birdcage a go.

The Birdcage

The Birdcage

If you’re after a more straightforward music venue then the Waterfront is perfect. Run by the UEA Student Union, the venue plays host to both underground and rising stars. Whether you’re looking for rap, punk, metal, indie, pop or any other genre under the sun, the Waterfront has something to offer. Located (as the name suggests) on the Norwich waterfront, the inside is big enough to accommodate an impressive crowd, while also maintaining a bar and seats for those who would rather chill out while listening. If live music is your thing then check out their upcoming events.

On the more intimate side is The Bicycle Shop of St Benedicts Street. Specialising in acoustic and singer-songwriter music, the rustic orange-glow of the venue is a refreshing change from the concrete and neon of many clubs and bars. Always welcoming and always classy if you’re after a classic drink with some friends The Bicycle Shop is definitely worth a visit.

The Bicycle Shop

Lastly, The Brickmakers on Sprowston Road needs a mention. Having previously scooped a ‘Best National Music Pub of The Year’ award the venue is another must-see for those into the Norwich Music scene. Variety is the spice of life at The Brickmakers, with regular music quizzes, acoustic open nights and Karaoke as well as a huge roster of both local and national bands. With a different event on every night you’re sure to find something that tickles your fancy.