IPhone: We know where you live

Thieves might want to think twice about phone theft after new tracking service aided arrest.

A phone thief found himself in a tight corner in a McDonald’s restaurant near the Norfolk Showground after being located by a stolen phone’s tracking application.

Police Officers were called after a 16-year-old girl reported her IPhone stolen at the Sundown Festival in Costessey.

The victim traced the thief using the IPhone application to the nearby McDonalds, before alerting the Police. Officers then dialled the number on entering the restaurant and apprehended the thief when the phone began to ring in his pocket.

The thief, later identified as Ionut Guita, 23, of Stratford, London, was searched and found to have stolen a total of 20 mobile phones at the festival. He was later arrested after Officers found the phones hidden in a pair of Ladies tights which Guita was secretly wearing underneath his trousers.

Guita later pleaded guilty to 20 counts of theft at the Norwich Magistrates Court on Thursday 4 September. He has been remanded in custody until further sentencing.