5 Tips To Help You Through Uni: Tip No.2

Katie Monks on alcohol and how to get through UEA

Tip number two and, let’s face it, it’s a big part of uni.

Alcohol.

Okay so I’m about to be a buzz kill, but alcohol is one of the most obvious things that can land first year students in a lot of trouble, especially in the first week.

A lot of student’s first time at university is also their first experience of alcohol, although this of course doesn’t apply to everyone. Having said that, to those who have never really drank alcohol before, or those who have never really had the experience of being drunk, Fresher’s week is most likely going to be more dangerous for you.

If you have never had alcohol before, it can be hard to know your limits, and chances are, these are not going to be very high. The best advice I can give you is eat a large meal before any consumption of alcohol, and once you do, take it steady. I know the idea of downing as much as possible is tempting, but you have the whole night, why spend the majority of it hurling in the square?

Stop and think about how many units you’re drinking in a week. Avoid mixing drinks, in my experience it’s a one way ticket to a hangover.

This is something that applies to everyone, no matter who you are or what year you’re in, we’d all like to be able to walk around campus without stepping into someone’s vomit from the LCR the night before thank you.

Go out and and have fun, but while you’re there, make some memories that you’ll actually remember.