5 Tips To Help You Through Uni: Tip No.1

Katie Monks gives us her first of five tips for getting through uni.

So the time has finally come. You’ve received the grades and have gotten into the university of your choice. Well done, you deserve it. So now that you’ve arrived at said university and finished you first week of inductions and social events (and if this is not UEA then you have clearly made the wrong choice) all that’s left is to do is to immerse yourself into the student life of sleeping all day and partying all night; the only exception being the few nights that are left to spend writing the assignments, due to be handed in the very next day.

Of course this is all fun and games, until…well there are many possibilities that could end that sentence.

I know you’ve mostly likely already had this lecture, many of you have probably had mother dearest, or some form of parental or guardian figure nagging in your ear about ‘being careful’ in freshers’ week. But to be completely honest with you guys; they’re actually hitting the nail on the head there.

Obviously I don’t want to be a buzz kill, but my advice is that maybe you should take the logic of the people-who-have-your-best-interests-at-heart’s and put it to good use when it comes to your Freshers’ year, because as much fun as the first blow out of your university career can be, it can actually, in many different ways, be potentially quite dangerous.

And so, herein lies the purpose of this series of articles; as a third year student, I am going to offer you Freshers’ some well-rounded advice that will keep you both safe from harm, and possibly offer you some peace of mind.

So here is the first of my 5 top tips that will be released this week:

1)  Finance.

You may not have thought this would be at the very top, but this is of the utmost importance; be careful not to blow your whole student budget as soon as you get it, or even the first month of university.

I know the majority of you will have never had this much money in your lives, but really, that doesn’t mean that you should spend it like there’s no tomorrow. Because funnily enough, tomorrow always comes, and you’ll be regretting the ‘best night out of your life’ when you can’t even afford to feed yourself today.

And don’t think that this can’t happen; you’d be surprised how much you can spend when you have the means, believe me. So like I said; be weary of how much you’re spending. Be sure to budget well; calculate how much you can afford and spend in a week and make sure you don’t go over it; if you do you may have to make some cut backs for the next week, and this could gradually get out of control. Seriously, I cannot stress the finance thing enough, you’ll thank me later.

Look our for Tip 2 coming soon.