Fans at risk from racist attacks at Euro 2012

England fans travelling to Euro 2012 next month have been warned to take extra care, following BBC Panorama reports of extreme racism in the stadiums of Poland and Ukraine.

Euro 2012 football

The programme – which was aired on 28 May – explored the problems that UEFA will face, showing shocking footage of disgusting racist abuse.

The Panorama special reveals a sickening history of racist violence in both nations where the competition is being staged. It shows yobs giving the Nazi salute, taunting black players with monkey noises, and chanting anti-Semitic insults.

In one incident, Ukrainian football thugs attacked a group of Asian students as they sat watching the game in the family stand inside a stadium which will host Euro 2012 games next month. It appears they are singled out because of the colour of their skin, supporting the same team. After staggering off for treatment, the students told the BBC that they often go to games but will arrive late and leave early in fear of being attacked.

The match, between Metalist Kharkiv and Shakhtar Donetsk, was at the 35,000 capacity Metalist stadium which will host games featuring Germany, Holland, Portugal and Denmark.

Former Arsenal and Tottenham defender, Sol Campbell, has urged supporters thinking of travelling to cheer on their heroes: “Stay home and watch it on TV.”

Campbell’s grim warning came as the families of two black England players said they would not be going.

The brother of midfielder Theo Walcott tweeted that he and his father will not be flying out because of “possible racist attacks”.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s family have also shelved plans to go out and see the 18-year-old play.

And it’s not just football fans that are worried about safety. The Foreign Office’s Euro 2012 travel advice warns: ‘Those of Asian or Afro-Caribbean descent and individuals from religious minorities should take extra care’.

The Football Supporters’ Federation said: “Racism has no place in football but is a problem in Ukraine. We advise fans to show common sense and not wander off the beaten track.”

Nick Lowles, of campaign group Hope Not Hate, admits: “We are concerned fans will be targeted by racists, fascists and anti-Semites.”

So, should UEFA have allowed the tournament to be hosted in Eastern Europe?

Campbell says UEFA should never have allowed Poland and Ukraine to host the contest, adding that “They need to sort out their problems first.”

When watching the scenes of horrific violence it strikes me that the UEFA are taking a blasé attitude towards the whole thing. The responsibility of justice lies with the host nations, and as the police seem to be doing nothing when confronted with the violence, it does not look positive.

However, UEFA said: “Euro 2012 gives host countries an opportunity to confront such issues.

"We have a zero-tolerance approach and ultimately the referee has the power to stop or abandon a match should racist incidents occur.”

Fingers crossed that they are right!