UEA Students Win BBC Award

The UEA Drop’s debate editor has won the first ever Student Journalism award for Innovation from the BBC.

BBC award journalism award students uea

Guy Wilson, the UEA Drop's Debate editor, has won the first ever Student Journalism Innovation Award from the BBC along with Wil Hanford, Nate Dove, and Alex Francis for a film they made about homelessness in Norwich.

After being narrowed down to the final six they considered themselves the underdogs. 

Yet they proved victorious yesterday at the journalism conference up in Salford where the award ceremony was held yesterday.

Adrian Van Klaveren, the controller of Radio 5 Live, presented the award for their film which has been described as "truly astonishing" by David Hayward, the organiser of the conference.

The judging panel included the editor of BBC News online, Steve Herrman, and the Today programme presenter, Justin Webb.

BBC Radio Norfolk interviewed The UEA Drop's Guy Wilson shortly after winning the award yesterday, and this is how it went:

The award-winning film was originally showcased at The Forum using five different screens. So the video on Youtube doesn't quite do it justice but you can view it here: