REVIEW: Derek

My experience in media production is limited, but even I know you should NEVER broadcast a pilot

comedy derek review ricky gervais television

My experience in media production may be almost entirely limited to making tea and answering phones, but even I know you should NEVER broadcast a pilot.

Thankfully, in case you didn’t already know that a first draft of anything is for your eyes only, Ricky Gervais has sacrificed himself to save the career of future programme makers everywhere. However as a staunch Gervais supporter, I pray that he fulfils this wonderfully apt analogy by resurrecting his reputation later this year with his new drama ‘Afterlife’ (written with the guy behind Dexter).

The Twitter reaction to Derek was scathing, but when you understand that this is just a pilot the criticism is a little harsh. The show has a lot of creases to iron out, but it also has a lot of potential. Given the chance I think Derek could emerge as one of the best things Gervais has done. I know you’re sitting there reading this and shouting horrible things at me, but do you remember watching The Office when it first aired? Of course you don’t because the ratings were terrible and most people, me included, just didn’t get it right away. If there’s one thing Ricky Gervais deserves it is patience, and I think we should be a little less hasty to write Derek off as a failure.

There were moments of real sentiment, and he brought the title character to life in a way that was both sensitive and compelling. The soundtrack was too desperate to make us feel something, but rage probably wasn’t the intention, and what was going on with Eminem’s Lose Yourself suddenly blaring out? That didn’t fit at all. I get that Gervais is a massive fan of the old classic slapstick comedy, but in Derek it was unnecessary and a little frustrating.

The show does have a reliably superb set of supporting characters. Karl Pilkington was a natural fit as caretaker Douglas, although he is basically playing himself with a wig. Nonetheless it works and he was the funniest thing in the show, but it won’t help all the rumours that he’s been acting all along. Kerry Godliman was perfect as the short-tempered Hannah, and her and Karl together completely overshadowed Gervais.

So call me crazy but I am going out on a limb and predicting that if Channel 4 are brave enough to commission a full series (and they’re hardly known for avoiding controversy), Derek might just surprise us and convert a few of you naysayers.