REVIEW: Glee, Season 3, Episode 14, ‘On My Way’

A fantastic return to form for the ailing musical-comedy-drama.

glee review tv

For the first time in two years I actually enjoyed an episode of Glee. In what seems to now be a customary mid-season tradition, the New Directions compete in the regional competition as a precursor to the big season finale at nationals, and unsurprisingly there were many surprises in store. Look away now if you don’t want spoilers.

First, in one of the most bizarre twists in Glee history, Sue Sylvester is pregnant. The episode opens with Jane Lynch’s character telling all to Quinn. I hope I’m not the only one who noticed the casual racism as she illustrates her new medication-related heightened sense of smell: “I can tell that within the last week you either enjoyed a delicious curry, or a hug from [the Asian] Principle Figgins”. Oh dear.

Meanwhile Dave Karofsky, the homophobic-turned-homosexual jock who bullied Kurt, is now suffering the same torment at his new school, pushing him to attempt suicide. This signals the moral crux of the episode, which focuses entirely on acceptance, independence, and not letting people tell you what to do. I always wondered why the show didn’t stretch this storyline out more because Karofsky is a great character, and his relationship to Kurt and Santana could have been developed so much more than it was. It’s a welcome return.

The biggest disappointment of the show was the sudden inexplicable reconciliation of New Directions and the Dalton Warblers. Throughout the series, their feud has played a central role and even resulted in the hospitalisation of Glee favourite Blaine from a dirty slushie facial. However, for no real explanation at all, they decide to cheer each other on at regionals and shake hands like nothing ever happened. The resolution of narratives has never exactly been a strong point of the show. Apparently, anything can be solved with a good old fashioned song and dance.

Obviously, New Directions won the regionals, because otherwise the rest of the season would be mighty dull, but overshadowing the competition is the Rachel and Finn marriage saga. They decide to get hitched straight after the competition and Jeff Goldblum makes another wonderful guest appearance as one of Rachel’s gay Dads who plots with Finn’s parents to sabotage the wedding. Any Gleeks out there will notice the continuity error; Rachel shows a picture of her Dad's in season one, clearly an inter-racial couple, but by season three one of them has pulled a Jacko. The wedding, however, is merely a vehicle for the episode’s cliff-hanger. Rachel anxiously texts Quinn, refusing to start until she arrives, and as Quinn takes her eyes off the road to send a reply, a truck smashes into the car leaving us pondering her fate, but knowing Glee she’ll be back on her feet by the end of next week.

Cynical though I sound, this episode was a fantastic return to form for the ailing musical-comedy-drama. For once, the music felt like a natural extension of the plot, and despite the uncharacteristically compassionate Sue everything was just about right. This week was probably an exception, so maybe I’ll just cut my losses, stop watching, and leave on a high? Or maybe it’s all uphill from here and Glee will be back to its back?

We can dream.

Email us at [email protected] to submit content.