REVIEW: The Thing

Gore, suspense, mystery, flamethrowers; The Thing.

1982 John Carpenter Sci-Fi The Thing

John Carpenter’s 1982 adaptation The Thing centres on a United States research facility in the Antarctic wilderness and its inhabitants’ descent into paranoia, accusation and infighting, after a shape shifting alien enters their midst.

Having read mostly favourable reviews about the film, coupled with an enthusiasm for the sci-fi genre, it is fair to say I was expecting a movie above and beyond most contemporary efforts of this ilk. So, does it deliver? Well, ‘yes’ is the short answer. Gore, suspense, mystery, flamethrowers and a good old axe-assisted mental breakdown; all ingredients included by the writers which are imperative for any good sci-fi horror.

The plot is very simple as you might expect; the first scene begins with the last two remaining members of a Norwegian research team chasing an alien (masquerading as a dog) to the US research facility. However, both Norwegians manage to get themselves killed (one via the timeless ‘unpin then drop grenade’ routine) before they can relay any warning to the US team about the alien-dog or its impending threat to all humanity. How unfortunate! The alien-dog is in the clear, therefore, and free to perform its sinister acts of tomfoolery upon the inhabitants of the base, multiplying and killing its prey in order to steal their appearances.

There is little by way of character development due to the nature of the film, where, it seems, fifteen minutes cannot go by without another character falling victim to the alien recruitment drive. The only character we really get to know beyond name is the main protagonist ‘MacReady’ played by Kurt Russell, who adopts the role of leader and organiser as things descend into chaos.

Another slightly weak area is the emotional aspect, or lack of it. Evidence of this is the amusing scene where the team are first introduced to the sight of an alien, seemingly killed between changing appearance and as so is stuck in a horrific, slimy, dog-human hybrid. The lack of shock or horror or even acknowledgement of such a lamentable discovery is quite comical. Then again, moments like this only add to the film’s charm and remind us that it wasn’t made in 2012, where a movie’s direction is often compromised in order to include themes to appeal to a larger audience. The Thing is intended to grip and entertain the audience, not stir up emotions. A scene where the remaining members of the team are obliged to prove if they are in fact human is particularly well paced and tense.

Indeed, when we are introduced to the monsters, Carpenter leaves nothing to the imagination; creating some terrifying monsters, often still bearing resemblance to their previous host. One particular highlight is a severed human head suddenly sprouting six legs and eyes on stalks, before attempting to scurry off. The monsters’ looks and movement are reminiscent of the aliens featured in Alien, released three years before The Thing and it's clear Cameron has taken some inspiration from Ridley Scott’s classic. Nevertheless, Cameron’s monsters certainly have a charm of their own and are in no way a blatant rip off. In fact, they are the most memorable aspect of the film. The mutilations of the human body are at times genuinely sickening and clearly very well produced.

All in all, The Thing is just under two entertaining hours of suspense, mutilation and explosions. If you enter expecting a film with brimming with sophistication and top drawer acting, you will be disappointed. However, the film does exactly what it sets out to do; provide the audience with action and gory delight. Whether you’re a fan of the genre or not, set aside time to watch this gem; it might just surprise you.