REVIEW: New Girl, Episode 12, ‘The Landlord’

‘You can be the underpants captain tonight.’

New Girl

Such a brilliant episode this week! Filled with so many gags and one- liners, this has been one of my favourite episodes so far.

We finally meet the dreaded Landlord Remy (Jeff Kober) after Jess accidentally reveals that there are four of them living in a three bedroom apartment (oops) Her aim to get the Landlord to fix some of the things backfires initially, with a hilarious scene when Remy knocks at the door. ‘This is what we trained for!’ They chuck all Schmidt’s stuff (bed included) out of the window and Schmidt pretends to be Jimmy the foreign friend (with a rather suspicious accent).

Their apartment is pretty much falling apart and Remy doesn’t look too impressed with the ‘sexually charged zero gravity tea ceremony’ painted on the wall of the closet (could it get any odder?).

This storyline is very much focused on Nick and Jess, with Winston providing a few one liners but is very much in the background compared to the other three (as usual). The writers will definitely need to develop some better storylines for him! Nick is extremely pessimistic and his view is that ‘people are jerks.’ He gets pushed into bushes as a child while Jess gets approached by a creepy looking man in a van. Of course we expect the worse (stranger danger). ‘Hey kid you like candy? Great, as my nana made way too much.’ (Didn’t even notice the fact that the Nana had been loaded into the back rather than sitting in the empty passenger seat.) So no wonder Jess always sees the good in people!

So Jess goes out to prove that Remy’s a nice guy but Nick suggests that Remy is only fixing things in the apartment to sleep with Jess. He rightly points out that ‘whenever a guy shows a girl how to do something from behind it’s always an excuse to get really close and breathe on her neck.’ After inviting him round for dinner it quickly gets discovered why he’s come round. ‘Hey Remy what happened to your pants?
‘I’ve never done a threesome.

‘This I did not expect.’ It was just so unexpected it was totally hilarious and Jeff Kober played the role brilliantly. Jess and Nick both competing to prove their point, agree to the threesome and begin awkwardly dancing while Remy begins to rub Nick’s back. Jake Johnson’s eyes were popping with pure fear (so funny). That little comedy touch by playing the well-known Matilda song "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root really made the situation even more inappropriate and ruined my childhood love for that song! Nick is elected the ‘underpants captain’ (not sure what that role entails.) Remy decides to let Nick and Jess get things going but Jess quickly admits she was wrong about Remy before anything can happen (damn it).

Schmidt is having love problems of his own and is convinced that his boss Kim is giving him sexual codes. Winston’s response- ‘It’s all in your head man.’ The flashback snippets of Schmidt were funny, interpreting pretty much anything in a sexual way. ‘Non-fat vanilla late’ ‘we’re not talking about coffee are we?’ (Er yes. That sounded a lot like she was saying what coffee you ordered. How did he get anything remotely sexual from that?) The best was the post man-‘a package for Schmidt?’

'Sir, I’m very flattered but I must decline.’ *slams the door in his face.* After wrongly interpreting some signs he decides to go for it with his boss, resulting in him getting tackled by security at a car park (as I suppose it did look a bit like he’d opened the door to a random woman’s car and started kissing her!). In the end Schmidt hilariously misinterprets his boss’ wish to set up a conference call with China with them seeing a little more than they bargained for (i.e. Schmidt in his underpants).

Overall, a pretty hilarious episode I’m going to go for it and say 5 stars!