REVIEW: Being Human, Episode 7, “Making History”

Past, Present and Future lives collide for the Being Human clan in episode 7. Will their decisions save or destroy them? Things in the BBC Three series start to liven up!

BBC Three Being Human review tv

At the conclusion of season 3, many of us were shocked to see Mitchell (Aidan Turner) end the series with a wooden stake through his heart. With the loss of Mitchell, it was debatable whether Being Human would ever be the same again.

Just as we were getting accustomed to this loss, another ‘hammer blow’ was brought to bear on the viewer, with the death of both George (Russell Tovey) and Nina (Sinead Keenan), meaning that within the first two episodes of season 4 only Annie (Lenora Crichlow), the lovable poltergeist, remained.

The supernatural balance is fully restored within the first 4 episodes of season two. The return of Tom Macnair (Michael Socha), a werewolf seen in a couple of episodes in season 3, fills the slightly socially confused void left by George. Cue Hal (Damien Molony) an OCD vampire intended to occupy the unpredictable and scheming role akin to Mitchell, with the added bonus that Hal doesn’t drink blood. However this series did lack something; the easy way in which the previous cast had portrayed the relationships and hardships of their characters, an ability that only comes with practice.

This week’s episode delves into Hal’s sinister past whilst Annie accompanies the adult spirit of baby Eve into the apocalyptic future. Tom  becomes further embroiled in the preparation for the arrival of the Old Ones…got it? Good. Sunday’s episode showed that Molony and Socha had finally become comfortable in their characters and it became almost impossible to laugh at the horrendous outfit and simple character of Tom in a particular restaurant scene.

Hal’s suave and cold exterior begins to crack when faced with the lure of blood. Cutler, a reoccurring vampire character and all-round nasty piece of work, adds a bit of spark and another dimension to the stagnating storyline, by showing viewers that Hal was once the stereotypical, sadist vampire before going cold-turkey. Previously, Cutler’s relationship to the rest of the characters was shady, but Sunday’s episode throws him right into the centre of all of the main issues throughout this series, with the opportunity for some revenge whilst he is at it. Meanwhile, Tom places his trust in Cutler’s hands with the promise that he will aid him in his quest to kill the Old Ones. Betrayal is imminent and Tom is implicated in a plot to expose him as a werewolf, a problem for all supernatural beings.

Annie’s trip to the future forms the second story of this episode when she is taken to a post-apocalyptic world governed by the vampires. She learns the fate of her friends and the ‘War Child’ Eve. Things aren’t looking good for the Being Human lot, especially seen as Tom has since died after being thrown into a Nazi-esque camp for humans and werewolves. Annie is then informed by Eve that she simply ‘drifted apart’, losing her grip on reality and fading into oblivion. Great! The morbid tone continues when the conversation gets on to Hal, who has become the ‘poster boy’, literally, of the new Vampire government.

Now this is where the episode takes a dramatic twist. Eve tells Annie that she must kill the baby Eve or else everything that she has seen will come to pass. Annie, returned to the present, crying over baby Eve, Tom exposed as a werewolf and Hal back on blood forms the cliff hanger of the episode, all of the necessary pieces are in place for a knockout of an episode next week. Being Human is back!

Email us at [email protected] to submit content.