Stranded Derby Day students Not Refunded!

Students were left STRANDED in Essex at 2am after UEA coaches departed, marking the end of Derby Day celebrations.

Derby Day uea

Students were left stranded in Essex at 2am after UEA coaches departed, marking the end of Derby Day celebrations.

Many students were left behind with no help or support from the Union as UEA coaches departed Essex University, leaving them with no choice but to pay extortionate taxi fares home.

Some groups of UEA students had to pay £80 taxi fees while others have been reported to have paid over £125 for the cab home.

However, in regards to refunds from the union, there are mixed reports with one student stating; "As far as I know, they will not be giving refunds until any investigation is over, and I have not received anything yet."

The University had provided 3 departure times: 10pm, 1am and 2am, but the lack of spaces on the 2am coaches had lead many students to question the Union’s level of organization and their duty of care to UEA students.

One anonymous source has said; ‘"I have heard that earlier buses left with empty seats, which was stupid. All of the buses were full going to Essex, so surely they were required to be full on the way back too.

"I arrived in time for the last bus, but there was not enough space. I think those who were left behind deserved to have the cost of their transport paid for."

This same source booked a Colchester cab for £125 with the hope of getting a refund from the union, adding that the Union "has spoken to us since and have said they would begin an investigation into why there were not enough spaces. As yet we haven't got ANY money back."

Students have reported that the University sent out an alert for the buses and that many of these students turned up in time for the last bus. But, with the clear lack of seats on the bus, there was a lot of pushing as the queue got out of hand.

The bus drivers had to stop letting people on for obvious health and safety reasons when maximum capacity was reached, and proceeded to drive off.

On the day, The University of Essex's equivalent to Nightline offered the stranded students an office to stay in for the night, and help finding transport home in the morning.

But many students were forced to refuse the offer as it would have lead to disruption of seminars and course timetables.

The Union’s Finance Officer, Rob Bloomer, has been reported to say, "that it should be possible to refund all travel costs, as long as records or proof of receipts can be provided."