Xbox: XY Rated Games Only

Anyone can game, right? Zoe Carroll takes a look at a girly girl’s place in the Xbox world.

carroll gamers Gaming girl ninetendo ps3 violence wii xbox zoe

I believe there is one major flaw with Xbox; they aren’t creating enough games aimed at girls. Yes you have your dance games and sing along games, but we want more options for our gaming experience than bloodshed and bang-wallop violence.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching the other half play games such as Battlefield and Call of Duty and I’ll have the odd play of Red Dead Redemption myself. But when I grab hold of that controller and try to play this gun game (which I do in secret to avoid blatant embarrassment), I find myself getting rather dizzy and confused from all the high energy graphics and flashes.

I know plenty of girls who play a variety of games, including fast action gun games. But for the girly girl like myself, who enjoys quest and role play themed games such as The Legend of Zelda (a game that has sold more than 6 million copies worldwide) the lack of variety on the Xbox market is saddening.

That the expense of consoles means the average family can only afford one only enhances my sadness. In recent years other consoles such as the Nintendo Wii and PS3 have been supplying more games that appeal to both genders as well as all ages. Yet I feel Xbox continue to make a vital flaw in their business scheme by not moving into these wider markets.

I remember the days when I used to play games such as the Sims: Urbz on the PS2 and Mario Cart on the Nintendo, I’d feel real freedom and escapism. The gaming culture of today is all about involving the user, with more motion capture technologies, such as the Xbox Kinect and the PS3 Move, and with the technology evolving, the future gaming experience will be on a whole new level.

Maybe it will be time for the gaming world to truly expand into the female market.

Zoe Carroll