Wii Love Fat Poppadaddys

One of Norwich’s hottest club nights doesn’t disappoint!

Fat Poppadaddys Norwich

It’s half 3 in the morning and the usual feelings of drunkenness, nausea and tiredness have been partially alleviated by the scenes I just witnessed inside Norwich’s very own ‘Lola Lo’s’ last Thursday.

As I stand outside I crane my neck to see a sweaty customer appear from inside with a Nintendo Wii in his hands, he dances with the bouncer on the way out. As he approaches me I say “What are you going to do with your Wii?”, to which he replies “I FUCKING LOVE MY LIFE!". Enough said.

But my friends winning of a Nintendo Wii in a nightclub raffle was merely the subplot to what was an epic evening at ‘Fat Poppadaddy’s. Thursdays visit was my first of this term and as the evening progressed I felt that I had truly been missing out.

‘Lola Lo’s’ has always delivered for me. It may be small in scale but its drinks are cheap, its atmosphere is more electric than claustrophobic, and it just welcomes you with every last Hawaiian shirt on display. But as the club itself is one of Norwich’s best and brightest, ‘Fat Poppadaddy’s’ stands away from the crowd as the night to be there.

The first thing I do when I walk through the doors is look to my right and spot resident DJ Peter Moore and from then on I know that I’m in for something special as his song selection is pure perfection.

As well as all the latest chart bangers, there's cheesy classics beautifully suited to the demographic of students born in the early 90’s. No-one can ignore the power of ‘Teenage Dirtbag’ or ‘Stacey’s Mom’ to get the air guitars out and the crowd in full song. And that's not to say everything from dupstep to hip-hop doesn’t get a look in.

With Jagerbombs priced fairly at £2 and the famous ‘Shark Bucket’ at £7.50 there’s no worries of doing this night with £20 with maybe £2 left over for a kebab. Or yet another Jagerbomb. 

My sweaty mess of a friend dances away from Lola’s claiming it to be the ‘best night of his life’ and although you may not win a console every time you go (not like Wii Sports is all that), you’d be foolish to turn away from a night that never fails to deliver.