The Story So Far For Norwich City…

After a six year absence from the Premier League, Norwich City are back with a bang.

football holt lambert morison norwich premier league

Having sunk to the depths of League One as recently as two seasons ago, the Canaries drafted in Paul Lambert as manager to replace the floundering Bryan Gunn, and steer the club back to safety.

It’s a gamble that has paid off handsomely for the East Anglian club, who have enjoyed successive promotions under Lambert’s expert guidance, picking up a few transfer gems along the way.

The likes of John Ruddy, Steve Morrison and most notably, Grant Holt, have all impressed this term – dismissing the scepticism that comes with a so-called ‘Championship-quality’ squad. There has even been talk of Ruddy and Holt joining the England squad for this summer’s European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

Despite getting off to a slow start, picking up just two points from their first four games, Norwich never looked out of their depth amongst England’s elite clubs. Their first win of the season came against Bolton in a 2-1 away win, followed by a victory by the same score line against Sunderland at Carrow Road. Though never complacent, the Canaries have rarely looked like relegation candidates

Amongst a host of impressive performances, gutsy draws earned against Liverpool and Chelsea for instance, the stand out game of Norwich’s season so far has to be the 3-2 away win over a dangerous Swansea City side.

Equally impressive in their adjustment to the fiercely competitive Premier League, the Swans had lost only once at home all season before the visit of Paul Lambert’s men, and that was to champions Manchester United.

Danny Graham opened the scoring for the home side in the first half, meaning it fell once again to the talismanic Grant Holt to lead Norwich’s fightback, scoring either side of Anthony Pilkington’s deflected effort to bring the Canaries into an emphatic 3-1 lead.

After reducing the deficit to just one goal through another Graham effort, Swansea were denied by the heroic John Ruddy, making stop after stop to see out the game and help his team to a well-earned three points.

The result epitomised Norwich’s season so far – fearless in attack and stubborn in defence.

If there is a downside to the club’s achievements this season, it is this: with success comes recognition, and with recognition comes temptation.

Grant Holt, for example, might be persuaded to transfer elsewhere if his stock continue to rise – and there’s no shortage of clubs in search of a prolific Englishman to spearhead their attack.

Similarly, as Paul Lambert’s reputation soars, there are fears that he could leave Norwich for a club with loftier ambitions. Given what he’s done for the club over the past two years, could we really blame him for wanting to move on?

Until that day comes, however, Norwich City are safe. Their courageous performances this season have won them numerous plaudits and have ensured that, for one more year at least, Carrow Road will host England’s biggest and best teams.

After a long-overdue return the Canaries are flying-high once again, and under Lambert’s guidance – the sky’s the limit.