The Drop meets UEA Korfball

Have you ever heard of ‘korfball’? No, neither have most people. Find out more.

Korfball sport uea UEA Sportspark

This week in the UEA Drop spotlight is Korfball. A brilliant mixed-sex, fast-paced game said to be a cross between basketball and netball. In my eyes it is a more exhilarating and energetic form of netball that is open to everyone.

Korfball was invented in 1901 in Amsterdam, Netherlands, by schoolmaster Nico Broekhuysen. He wanted his schoolchildren to be able to play a game together where they could all compete on an equal footing.

Korfball is played by two teams of 8 (4 males and 4 females with no marking of opposite sexes permitted!) The pitch is divided into two halves or divisions, with a goal post two-thirds of the way into each respective half. This post is basically a taller, fatter netball post but with a “korf” – the Dutch word for basket – at the top.

The best thing about korfball is the fact that there are no set positions; after every two goals that are scored – irrespective of who scores them – players change divisions. Those that were attacking now become defenders and vice versa.

So how do you play?

Korfball is played much like netball. The ball is passed from player to player's hands, with similar (but not as strict) footwork, or in this case“travelling” rules.

Unlike netball, there is no “obstruction” rule, and players are allowed to stand as close to each other “without contacting” as they like. The attacker is not allowed to shoot if the defender is within arms length, actively marking the ball and nearer to the post than themselves. Consequently, you have to be pretty nifty and a sharp shooter to score.

Where can you join?

Korfball in England, and particularly within Norfolk, is thriving. There is a local league played at our very own Sportspark every Sunday.

If you want to join UEA’s team, training is on Wednesdays, Court 1 at the Sportspark 5-7.

If you are no longer a student but would like to get involved in one of the best sports around, there are plenty of clubs who would love to accommodate you. I play against people aged 13-60 and occasionally against the odd England player too. It’s fun, fast and fantastically addictive.