REVIEW: The Muppets

Patrick Hetherington reviews the return of Kermit and co. in "The Muppets"

amy adams chris cooper film jason segel kermit muppets patrick hetherington review

2011 could well be remembered as the year cinema became nostalgic. The end of the Harry Potter phenomenon, Woody Allen’s Midnight In Paris and the first silent film to win the Best Picture Oscar since the original 1929 ceremony all testify to a reignited love affair with days gone by on the big screen. As if all that weren’t enough, the triumphant comeback of The Muppets is arguably the icing on the cake as it embraces this spirit.

Once the premiere of TV entertainment, the Muppets have long since parted ways and faded into memory. For young Walter from Smalltown however, whose story stands centre stage, the Muppets were and are everything he’s ever dreamed of. As such, when oil tycoon Tex Richman (Chris Cooper, American Beauty) buys the old Muppet Studios and plans to demolish them, Walter determinedly sets out to reunite Kermit the Frog and co. for a studio-saving fundraising telethon. Introducing a brand new addition to the familiar troupe is perhaps the masterstroke of this film, providing new audiences with a compatriot in meeting such iconic characters, and providing old fans with someone whose excitement and awe they can really empathize with. At the heart of this film is the story of Walter, and at the heart of Walter is a story about growing up.

It defies the laws of nature to have a Muppets film without the whole gang, and here the cast of both Men and Muppets collaborate beautifully. Jason Segel, a surprising casting choice as Walter’s brother Gary given his filmography of more adult features (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You, Man), appropriately sticks to his ‘nice guy’ act, albeit more entertainingly self-deprecating. Amy Adams, rapidly becoming one of the greatest actresses in recent years, channels the energy of prior family features (Enchanted, Night at the Museum 2) whilst complimenting it with a level of real, human complexity as Gary’s girlfriend Mary. Chris Cooper has played the tough man before and as antagonist Tex Richman he ticks all the boxes of a villain. Greedy, ruthless, ‘maniacal laugh’, the man is good at being bad.

As for the Muppets themselves, Kermit maintains his ‘master of ceremonies’ status with kindness, determination, patience, everything that defines him as the leader. Miss Piggy is the embodiment of the diva, oscillating violently between her infatuation and her wrath for her ‘Kermie’. Fozzie Bear’s jokes are both better and worse than ever, and Animal is struggling with anger management, go figure. If you have a favourite, the film does not forget to give them their moment.

The Muppets is a genuinely timely tale. The songs are perfect for the moods they convey, the sets are colourful, giving us the feeling at times of actually attending a show instead of a film. The plot is both classic and refreshing and its message is profoundly relevant and mature. Who’d have thought that a film about a group of ‘animated’, wacky characters vying for one more shot at the spotlight could be so poignant on the subject of fame and its flipside? They’ve all learned that time marches on and memory fades away. It’s the nightmare all modern celebrities share, yet a nightmare all fans wish they could be in a position to have.

In some ways this film is more for stars themselves than anyone, a consolation that with enough determination and hard work, it’ll be time to play the music and switch on the lights again. Add Walter to the mix, and his story’s message of growing up and chasing your dreams, and the result is a film which is truly for everyone.

(P.S. This film has by far the best use of cameo appearances ever. See how many you recognize!)

To review for us please e-mail: [email protected]