UEA ranked 2nd in Country for cheating

The number of students caught red-handed for cheating is higher at UEA than all but one other uni

academic misconduct cheating

UEA has been ranked 2nd in the country for cheating students with Lancaster taking the top spot.

UEA reported 187 'cheating' cases to Lancaster's 194 

(scroll through slideshow to see official table). 

Freedom of Information requests sent to the country’s leading universities revealed a surge in the amount of ‘acedemic misconduct’ cases across the country.

Over the last three years a total of 5,111 students have been busted and the figures are rising year an year.

Thousands have been caught for plagiarising, taking notes into exams, copying from classmates, buying essays on the internet, and even impersonating other candidates in exams!

Nearly 1,700 students at 20 leading institutions were caught in the year 2010-11 alone, and around 100 of these cheaters were permanetly expelled.

Of those caught red-handed, more dimwits actually wrote notes on their hands rather than using more technological methods to source out the answers they were after. 

A staggering 10% of the reported incidents last year came from UEA.

Ali Chrisp, Second year, joked 'There is room for improvement – we should be first!".

A UEA spokesman took a rather different tone and said the figures reflect the strict stance on cheating and not an unusually high number of dishonest students.

“As a university we take cheating very seriously and work hard to identify instances of academic misconduct.

“We very much doubt that our students are any less honest than those in other institutions. But we see it as vital to the integrity of the university that we identify and record such incidents thoroughly, and discipline any students involved.

“All this demonstrates is that we are alert to what is obviously a national issue – and that we deal with cases when we detect them.”

There were 175 incidents recorded in 2009/10 and 209 in 2008/09, and so far there have been 21 students who have got done this year for academic misconduct.

Consequences have ranged from re-submitting work to permanent exclusion.