‘There shouldn’t be shy transgender women’: Meet Northumbria’s trans beauty queen

‘I’m massively about self-acceptance and I want everyone else to see that too’

Picture your dream grad job. The next Anna Wintour? More of an Alan Sugar wannabe? Maybe your idea of success is becoming the North East’s answer to Bill Gates.

But unless you’re dreaming of being crowned Miss Transgender United, Northumbria grad Jossy Yendall doesn’t want to know.

The 28-year-old Performing Arts grad is the only Geordie contestant in this year’s trans beauty competition – and she’s hoping her charm and natural beauty will work in her favour.

We spoke to her about her hopes to win the first Miss Transgender United crown.

“I’ve got my own boobs, my own hair and my own nose to bring to this competition so I’m hoping that works in my favour. I’ll have to put on my Geordie charm as I’m the only contestant in my heat from the North East, but I’m feeling confident.

“I really want to put out an inspirational message, as cheesy as that sounds. If I’m out there, working and getting by based on a strong sense of character and personality, I want everyone to feel that they can.

“I’m massively about self-acceptance and I want everyone else to see that too.”

Since graduating last year, Jossy has focussed on her passion for acting and performing. She’s performed at Newcastle’s Gay Pride alongside her drag queen partner in crime, Honey Lingus, and took part in Drag Idol last year.

“I’ve never been shy – it’s probably just as well. My degree in Performance has definitely helped with any confidence issues I might have had, and it’s definitely played a role in applying for Miss Transgender this year. There shouldn’t be such a thing as a shy transgender woman, if you’ve made this much of your journey there’s no way you can hide away now.

“I’ve loved performing since I was seven. Especially since I’ve made the decision about myself and who I am, I’ve taken acting and pageants like this as my livelihood. I’m realistic and still have a steady ‘normal’ job but I’m dedicated to acting.

“The travelling can be awful and exhausting, and through everything and all the performing sometimes I find myself saying to my mum ‘I don’t know if I’ve still got that fire in my belly for all of this.’ And she always tells me ‘Jossy, be quiet – of course you do’.”

Jossy’s heat for Miss Transgender UK takes place this August in Birmingham, with the final being held in London the following month.

“The full run-through is all still a bit up in the air at the moment, and it’s a toss up between a ‘personality’ section and a ‘swimwear’ section. I’m not fussed – I’m fully planning to be showcasing my personality while in a bikini anyway.”

For her finale, Jossy plans to wear a dress created by a local drag queen artist. She’s beyond grateful for the support of her local community.

She also has huge hopes and dreams to normalise transgender actors within the industry, and to one day just be seen as an actress and not a transgender performer.

“The LBGT scene in Newcastle have always been indescribably supportive with all of my performances and ambitions, from when I started in uni all the way through to now. Drag Idol was at Rusty’s so I’ve been shown massive support from them and absolutely everyone. It’s been amazing, and it’s definitely helped build my confidence for things like this pageant.

“For anyone else following down the transgender process, my best advice would be make sure this is 1000 per cent what you want. It’s not easy and nothing about it is glamorous.

“It’s a huge commitment but my goal is to show anyone in my position it’s worth it.”

Photos courtesy of: Madame Jocelyn, Eazy Street (Drag Idol), Dot Photography Art and Creation, Honey Lingus.

You can vote for Jossy in the Miss Transgender United 2015 pageant by clicking here.