16-year-old boy arrested over rape near nightclub

He’s been released on bail

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of a rape near student hot spot Powerhouse, Westgate road.

The youth is accused of raping a 33-year-old woman in the early hours of March 1st in a street surrounding the popular nightclub in Newcastle.

Westgate Road, Newcastle.

The teenager has been granted bail by police pending further inquiries.

Following the attacks, Northumbria Police have said they intend to carry out more consistent checks through out Newcastle city centre to offer reassurance and guidance to those in the area.

Detective Inspector Sharon Chatterton, of Northumbria Police Rape Investigation Team, said: “We have officers, who are specially trained in dealing with the sensitive nature of incidents like this, working with the victim to make sure she has the support she needs at this time.”

“We would ask anyone who was in Newcastle City Centre around Westmorland Road on Sunday morning to get in contact with police as they may have important information that can help with out inquiries and help identify and trace the person responsible.”

Powerhouse

The incident has sparked already growing worries as the area is becoming a predatory scene, as The Tab reported the arrest of a man in February for raping a girl on her 18th birthday in the same area last September.

Rajedmiah Miah was sentenced to six years in jail after pleading guilty to attacking his victim after a night out in Powerhouse’s ‘The Pink Room’ as the girl became isolated from her friends, again on Westgate Road.

A CCTV image of a man who is thought to be in connection with the incident has been released by Northumbria Police.

It is believed he may have information that could help with the investigation.

Westgate Road is a place of growing concern

Inquiries are continuing and anyone with any information is asked to contact Northumbria Police on 101 ext 69191 quoting reference 400 010315 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.