‘Being a model hasn’t made me any more glamorous’: Meet Northumbria’s fittest fresher

‘I’ve never emailed a lecturer saying I was too busy modelling for a seminar – they’d probably need a note for that’

Possibly the fittest girl in Northumbria Uni, Amy Hudson stopped to tell the Tab about her recent success with Top Model UK.

The fresher beat off 4,000 other hopefuls for a place in the grand final of the competition due to take place March 13th.

But it’s refreshing to know that the 19-year-old still struggles with mornings like the rest of us: “I don’t really care at uni, being a model hasn’t made me any more glamorous. I still see girls who’ve managed to get make up on for their 9am lectures and wonder how they did it.”

She said: “My life hasn’t changed drastically since entering the competition – I think a lot of people think my life is really exciting and fast paced now, but I still got the metro here. I still need to clean my room when I get back to my Halls… It’s all means to an end!”

How does the gorgeous littl’un juggle uni work and persuing a modelling career?

Amy tells us: “At the moment the competition isn’t too time consuming because its during the weekends but the travel can be a bit of a nightmare, a train all the way to London just for one day can be hectic but I know the opportunity is worth it and nothing can stop me enjoying it.

“I can’t say I’ve ever sent a lecturer an email saying I couldn’t make their seminar because I was too busy being a model… I would probably need a note for that one.”

We both had special t shirts

Surprisingly, blonde Darlo bird Amy didn’t enter the competition herself – she didn’t fancy her chances.

“It was my auntie who originally applied for me back in August last year. I was so surprised because I’d never even considered modelling outside of Darlington, I didn’t think I could cut it. And then I got an email that I was barely expecting, I never thought they would actually consider me so I almost didn’t believe I’d been so lucky.”

She explained: “It said I’d been chosen for a selection in London which was basically a long room with a lot of other models in, all wanting to be taken to the next level of the competition. After I nearly face planted because I couldn’t walk in my heels, I was amazed and relieved I’d made it through. I’ve had a few more lessons on how to walk in stilettos though.”

Should we assume the ever academic Amy would knuckle down and finish her very expensive, very important degree, even if Tyra Banks rocked up and offered to take her to Paris personally? Maybe not.

“I’m not saying psychology wouldn’t be a great career but of course the dream would to be rubbing shoulders with Cara Delevigne. The competition has helped me so much and I’ve gained so much from the whole team so it would be impossible to say no. I know how much that can change by third year. We’ll see how it goes.

“If nothing else came out of this I can always say I’ll have this experience and I’ve learned so much I’ll never forget from it.”

£1 votes for our Poly princess can be pledged through Amy’s Top model Virgin Giving page.

Amy will always be our Top Model.