Newcastle third year raises thousands by shaving her head for charity

What have you done recently?

She only needed one glass of wine to steady herself.

This week Natasha Brisbane-Nash has done the unthinkable for most women; she’s shaved off her long mane of hair, all in the name of charity.

Natty, who studies Zoology at Newcastle has so far raised £2,519.42 for The Leprosy Mission, an organisation who aims to battle the disease and stigma surrounding leprosy.

During research for an A-Level project, Natasha discovered the little known truth about the disease, which is still believed in some cultures to be a sign of the devil.

On Monday she had her head sheared for free at the student popular Boilerhouse Hair Salon in Jesmond.

She then headed back home to have the final shave, assisted by a group of friends.

Not only did Natasha decide to raise awareness for sufferers of leprosy, she’s donated her hair to the Little Princess Trust, which creates human hair wigs for children suffering from hair loss.

The 21-year-old hopes that her efforts will lead to education about leprosy, especially when people ask her why she’s decided to shave her head.

If that wasn’t brave enough, she’s also volunteered to go to The Leprosy Mission’s Anandaban Hospital in Nepal in September for 10 days, followed by a 3 day trek through the Himalayas.

You can donate at her JustGiving page.