Heaton med student creates Bollywood blockbuster

The former student chose the silver screen over Shiremoor

Shakirul Alam sacked off his pharmaceutical chemistry degree to pursue a career in Bollywood film making, in a move his parents were thrilled about.

After leaving Northumbria uni, 28-year-old Alam set off for London to attend an acting academy founded by Bollywood big man Anupam Kher.

He said: “I spoke to my parents and told them I wanted to go out and spend a few years on this journey, and see how far I would go.”

By the end of the course, Shakirul had been encouraged by Anupam to visit Mumbai to build contacts to make his film dreams into reality. The actor was so impressed he helped the student produce his first script.

On his journey to fame, Shakirul made acquaintances with Gaurav Chowdhary who was also training to be an actor in Mumbai.

Inspired by his new friend’s story of his dad struggling to make a name for himself as a classical musician Shakirul decided to make a film based on Gaurav’s father’s life.

Gaurav was cast to play the role of his father (obvs) and himself (proving he can act AND multi task).

He said: “My parents were very supportive and I feel really happy now, having completed a movie that I have written, produced and directed, and I’m starring in it as well.”

Busy boy Shakirul then went on to set up his own production company (proving he was capable of just about anything – screw you, medicine) with Newcastle-based pal Jaz.

Tyneside cinema snapped up the rights to premiere the local lad’s film debut, screening “Teen Taal (Three Rhythms)” on March 9-10. There have been talks of Indian film distributors buying the film, meaning Shakirul’s brain child could be shown on 200 to 300 screens.

Shakirul said: “This is what I’ve always wanted to do. I remember writing scripts during chemistry lessons when I was younger. Even though I started working as a pharmaceutical chemist, film-making was what I was really passionate about.

“It feels like I’ve achieved what I set out to do. This is, however, just the beginning of my journey. My aim is to make more films in Bollywood, Hollywood and also in England.”

Shakirul aims to set up a production studio in Newcastle.