Free hugs in Newcastle

Feel the love

Would you hug a complete stranger?

As I staggered hungover to work last weekend I came across a strange sight at Monument. A group of women were holding up placards bearing the words “Free Hugs”.

What’s the catch?

At first I branded these women a group of weirdos. Who in their right mind would stand about in the freezing cold offering hugs to complete strangers?

I stood and watched as passers-by would stop what they were doing and start hugging somebody they had never met and would likely never meet again.

Intrigued, I sidled up to the chief-hugger to ask her what was going on.

The mysterious hugger says: “We’re just trying to spread a little love around the city of Newcastle, particularly at this time of year to take away from the commercialisation and makes people feel a little more loved”

Would you hug a stranger?

So I decided to try something new. I hugged three complete strangers – and it felt good.

I did indeed feel a little more loved.

Why does it feel so good?

Does this say more about me and my lack of human contact? Or maybe Project Hug is onto something.

To most of us the notion of hugging a stranger is abnormal. Yet we’ll happily shag a stranger after a night out, and think nothing of it – alcohol is probably the main reason.

That and our voracious appetites.

If you want to go along and offer free hugs or receive some human contact you can join the event on Facebook.