Northumbria student dies from a suspected spiked drink

She was on exchange in Germany

national noad

Tributes have poured in after Northumbria student Jane Khalaf suddenly died while on an exchange placement in Cologne.  

The 19-year-old collapsed on a night out on November 12, after telling friends she thought her drink had been spiked and she was soon rushed to hospital.


As her condition deteriorated, she was transferred to the Kliniken der Stadt Koln where she was put on a life-support machine. Doctors decided to turn off the machine eight days later, on November 20.

Tests taken there revealed levels of amphetamine and ecstasy in her blood.

Her grieving parents mum, Rojin, and dad Khalil are now demanding answers as to the situation their daughter died.

Mrs Khalaf said: “It’s absolutely terrible and we just can’t believe what has happened.

“She was such an intelligent, ambitious, funny and happy person who was so full of life and hoped to become involved in politics and was good at everything. But really there are no words that can properly describe her.”

The Politics student’s body has been flown back to the UK where a post mortem will be carried out.

Her parents and uncle, Fhami Khalaf, are now pressing for action against both the hospital and German police, who they have accused of negligence.

“No one rang to tell us that she had been taken ill in hospital despite the fact she had her driving licence on her as ID. We found out through Facebook.”


Jane was only in her first year studying politics when she was hand-picked by the university in Germany to take part in the exchange.

A spokesman at Northumbria said: “We can confirm that one of our students has tragically passed away while studying at a partner university in Germany.

“Representatives from Northumbria University have met with the family and we continue to offer support at this difficult time. We are in contact with the authorities in Germany and the UK, and stand ready to assist further where we can.”