Northumbria is geet mint, pet

Cheryl didn’t go to uni but if she did, it would have been Northumbria

We don’t care that sometimes we’re viewed as Newcastle Uni’s slow, special cousin.

Here’s a long, undeniable list of cold hard facts why Northumbria University is the BEST university.

After all of the humming and harr-ing of looking at unis, you knew Northumbria would be your first choice.

You knew deep down the Polys would give you the dirtiest hangovers in first year, the most support in second year and more importantly the time of your life and a top notch degree at the end of it (90% of our students go into employment after graduation. Just saying.)

When push came to shove you just couldn’t bare the disappointment on your parent’s faces when you mentioned Sunderland Uni and you couldn’t quite see yourself as one of the Newcastle red brick RAHs. So here you are, at Northumbria’s shiny big silver gates.

One in seven people living in Newcastle are students. I’ll take those odds.

We’re in the best student city

We’ve got you covered here in the Toon. Passionate about sport? We consider football a religion and the legendary St James’ park can be seen from virtually every part of the city.

Fancy something a little alternative? We’re host to a huge comic book scene and a mere twenty minute metro ride to South Shield’s Goth convention.
Not to mention the 93 societies within the Uni to tickle your fancy.

Above all else, Newcastle is renowned for being a cultural hotspot. From our thriving music scene (Jimi Hendrix used to busk in Heaton and if that doesn’t make us cool, nothing will) to our ridiculously huge shopping mall, Eldon Square (you will find it, you will love it and you will visit at least once a day).

More importantly, we were voted the party capital of the UK so there is ALWAYS an excuse and a venue to get pissed.

Our Student Union gets shit done

One thing you’ll learn at Northumbria is our Student Union is very much the mam (get used to the word, we use it on cards here) of the university.

As in, when we find something to whinge about, they’re sharp on the case to make sure we’re having the best student experience possible (because £9,000 a year is a lot to waste on being unhappy).

A huge issue addressed by the SU was that we couldn’t afford to live on what The Student Loan Company were saying we could, so last year’s Sabbatical team won £14 million worth of bursaries to make those Tesco Value beans last longer.

So that extra grand that pops into your account just after January? You’re welcome.

We are bloody delightful lot

The Telegraph (loyal fans of the Tab) said Geordie accents are not only the sexiest but the most friendly sounding accents in the UK. Guess what? YOUR UNI IS FULL OF THEM!

While Northumbria does play host to a huge range of cross cultural, exotic and down right sexy people, your lecturers and guidance tutors are prime examples of local talents and job opportunities that lie within the city after your degree.

Geordie or not, every single person is here to help you, from trivial things like not being sure of how to submit work to the bigger issues for when you might feel like you can’t take the world on.

We’ll keep you satisfied

We’re the 23rd most satisfied University in the UK and while that may seem pretty mediocre, it’s important to remember THAT’S MORE SATISFIED THAN STUDENTS AT NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY.

This was based largely on the fact our library is open 24/7 (even at Christmas) and we can only assume this is based on the fact Northumbria appreciates the fact no one does work the day it’s assigned.

As well as catering to slackers, it means if a part time job is eating up your time on a weekend, the library will be there to cater to your late night study session needs. Newcastle’s shuts at approximately 6pm. Again, just saying.

So there we have it. Northumbria Uni is the best uni in the world. And if anyone defies that sentence, tell them this:

You’re satisfied, you’re sexy and you’re proud to be a Poly.