Why I support gender-neutral toilets

It’s just common sense

Last week’s Northumbria Tab article caused outrage when it was revealed only 20 per cent of students support gender neutral toilets.

And Newcastle Uni’s LGBT society are furious about it.

The article saw Samantha Brown go onto campus and ask 60 students at random whether they agreed with plans to implement Gender-Neutral Toilets (GNTs) at Northumbria.

80 per cent were firmly against it.

For those who aren’t aware (like most of those asked in last week’s survey) a GNT is an individual toilet that can be used by anybody regardless of their gender, much like the ones you’ll see in your local coffee shop.

Newcastle University has planned to replace the signs on single toilets to read “Toilet” rather than having the standard male or female symbol. Northumbria is likely to follow suit in line with many other unis across the country.

It’s that simple

The idea behind GNTs is to accommodate for transgender individuals. GNTs prevent any discomfort that comes from people staring or harassing the person when they want to use the toilet.

That’s how simple the idea is. Have individual toilets that everyone can use, regardless of their gender.

Everybody poops

It’s likely the majority of those asked didn’t understand the concept of a GNT. Some will have had visions of toilets with urinals and cubicles where you’d rub shoulders with persons of the opposite sex.

Joanne Harker, a language student, stated her opposition on the grounds: “A man’s bathroom is a man’s bathroom and a woman’s is a woman’s”.

Harker clearly has failed to grasp that gender isn’t something you can just pigeon hole as “male” and “female”.

True dat

History student Connor Bromley compared the issue of people wanting GNTs to his desire for the uni to give student’s free note pads.

What Bromley has failed to grasp is that Trans* people face the risk of harassment everyday from bigots and the simple act of going to use the toilet can be a source or worry – why not alleviate that worry with something as simple as GNTS?

People often forget the T from LGBT and it’s about time we addressed that.

GNTs don’t inconvenience anybody. I’m very much in support of them – especially as sometimes when you really need to go and there’s not a designated gender toilet nearby.

Luke Allison, Newcastle Uni’s LGBT Officer had this to say:

“GNTs are being introduced to accommodate trans students and students who don’t fit into societies rigid gender binaries but GNTs are for everyone and are in general more practical as everyone can use them.”

The idea is to be inclusive and welcoming – you know, a bit how we give everybody an education regardless of their gender, religion, skin colour etcetera (though to some people that’s an issue too).

To put it simply: get with the times, it’s 2014. If you’ve got that much of a problem with GNTs go and use the standard toilets, I’ll be happy to use a GNT anytime, Ta.