Fenwick’s Christmas window – so over it

Why all the fuss?

It’s the most wonderful time of the year for some – Fenwick unveiled it’s 2014 Christmas window.

This year’s theme was original as ever – Alice in Wonderland – and the crowd’s went wild with joy as it was unveiled.

People queued from 4pm to see the display with live street entertainment.

The ChronicleLive even tweeted the run up to the unveiling in a frenzy of excitement.

Call me Scrooge but I’m never entirely thrilled by the annual unveiling.

Firstly because it’s November, we’re still ages away from Christmas. It’s bad enough seeing the Coca-Cola advert when you’re enjoying your morning cereal without walking down the high-street and seeing singing and dancing displays.

Off with their heads

Secondly, why would you queue in the icy November weather to see the display when you can walk past on any other day and see it without having to shove people out of the way to get a glimpse on the wonderland.

Thirdly, it shouldn’t be a highpoint in the calendar, this is Newcastle’s Fenwick not Harrods in London. God forbid people make the effort to go to an art gallery or a museum.

But not everybody shares my bah-humbug attitude, with hundreds tweeting their delight at the window.

If you’re a child or you’ve got kids fair enough, but if you’re an adult you should know better.