Here’s exactly where to watch the FIFA World Cup in Newcastle

Make the most of the FIFA World Cup this winter in the Toon

World Cup fever is in full swing; songs have been sung, pints have been flung and we’re all in a state of wonder… is it coming home?

As we approach the last eight there are some tasty match ups in store, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo continue their career long conquest for global glory, France looks to become the first team to retain their title since 1962, and of course England aim to end 56 years of hurt.

As enticing as these matches sound, you’re likely weighing up your options on where to watch the action unfold, so here’s some ideas for you to consider:

Jesmond

Jesmond boasts an array of Pubs and Bars that majorly stretch the length of Osbourne Road. A number of them are accepting bookings for tables, Spy and Osbournes proving to be popular venues, however bookings tend to be made well in advance but you are of course still allowed stand. Although there are other establishments who are not taking any bookings and are deciding to function on a first come first served basis, student hotspot The Lonsdale are taking this approach so why not try and go for the long haul and settle in for a ‘drinkathon’?

Fan Zone

There are two popular fan zones that have been operating throughout the tournament, the Central Park Fan Zone located at the Life Science Centre, and the England World Cup Fan Zone based in the popular concert venue, NX. If you’re looking for a fan driven and atmospheric experience a Fan Zone is certainly for you, it is the closest one can get to recreating the energy and raw emotion you would encounter in a stadium. You are required to book tickets for such events, which are priced in the region of £10.

Clubhouses

A number of Non-League clubs in the North East are making good use of their cherished clubhouses. Local teams such as South Shields, Newcastle Benefield, Heaton Stannington and more are opening their doors to make most of the jam-packed schedules. Moreover, many are offering deals included in the viewing experience, Heaton Stannington most notably offering free hot dogs for those who attend England’s encounter with France, as well as 20% off all drinks from 6pm until 7pm.

Home

As the old saying goes, home is where the heart is. If crowds don’t attract you, or even if you’re looking to save a bit cash over the festive season, there is absolutely no reason not to watch the business end of the competition from the comfort of your own home. This gives you the freedom to customise how you watch the games, you can purchase an assortment of drinks for a fraction of the price compared to pubs and bars, or you can invite friends over and make it a party, the possibilities are limitless.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.