A student’s guide to Bonfire Night in Newcastle

Have no fear, your Bonfire Night plans are here

With Halloween now dead and gone, these cold and dark nights just don’t have the same air of excitement in them anymore. It’s still a little too far off to be celebrating Christmas, so thank god Bonfire Night is this weekend to make the most of the early evenings. We’re talking all the cosy vibes; an excuse to wrap up warm, eat way too many marshmallows and drink as much hot chocolate as physically possible. Luckily, as many of you don’t drive or haven’t got a car here there are plenty of events happening nearby which you can reach by Metro.

Newcastle Racecourse

For many, the racecourse may be tainted with drunken memories of which your bank account hasn’t yet full recovered from. But if you’re ready to brave it all over again, Newcastle Racecourse are hosting a fireworks and funfair race night, where you can expect to find fireworks, racing, face painting, live bands, funfair rides, food stalls.

Gates open at 1pm, with the first race at 2:30pm, last race at 6:15pm and fireworks kicking off at 7:30pm, along with a laser show choreographed to music. Going out Saturday? No bother, as you can do both.

When? Friday 4th November

Where? High Gosforth Park, Racecourse, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 5HP

Price? £15 (includes access to racing and any live entertainment)

Ouseburn Fireworks Display

Returning again this year at City Stadium, Ouseburn Fireworks Display kick off at 6.30pm and offer hot food and drinks on site. What’s more, this event is absolutely FREE. The event is put on by local volunteers who fundraise, but you can also donate to their CrowdFund page.

You can both walk or get the Metro, depending on where you’re coming from. This event is always HUGE and couldn’t be more located more conveniently for you first years.

When? Saturday 5th November

Where? City Stadium, Warwick Street, Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear, NE2 1AQ

Price? FREE!

Newcastle Round Table Fireworks Extravaganza 2022

If you’re wanting to immerse yourself a bit more into Geordie culture, then Newcastle Round Table’s firework fundraiser might be the one for you.

Described as Gosforth’s original and best Firework display for more than 40 years, the firework extravaganza donates profits to charities and good causes from the area. Expect refreshments and gates opening from 5pm, with the show starting at 7pm.

It’s essential you buy tickets in advance and you can get there super easily on the metro.

When? Saturday 5th November

Where? Gosforth Sports Association, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 2NH

Price? £6 (discounts for group bookings available here)

North Tyneside Fireworks Display

Expect fireworks and fairground rides at Whitley Bay for absolutely FREE this weekend from 6pm, with fireworks starting at 7pm. You can get to Whitley Bay easily by Metro, but will face a 20 minute walk to the seafront location – which is absolutely worth it in my opinion for fireworks by the sea. As it’s taking place on Sunday it’s a great chance to catch the last of this year’s fireworks if you’re busy or going home for the weekend.

When? Sunday 6th November

Where? The Links, Whitley Bay, NE26 1TQ

Price? FREE!

Novocastrians RFC

Back again for 2022, the club’s annual fireworks display is in support of The Chronicle Sunshine Fund charity, which assists children with disabilities. Ticket prices are student friendly and also go towards a good cause, which is great. Additionally, the club is easily accessible by Metro, just a short eight minute walk from Four Lane Ends.

When? Saturday 5th November

Where? Novocastrians RFC, Sutherland Park, Benton, NE7 7SY

Price? £5

Saltwell Park

If you live on the other side of the Tyne and don’t fancy the trek, Gateshead’s biggest fireworks display is hosting a 30 minute fireworks display, a laser show, fire eaters, music from Metro Radio DJs, fairground rides and street entertainers. The event is raising money for Metro Radio’s Cash for Kids charity and will also host a fairground. Gates open at 5pm and fireworks start at 7.30pm.

When? Saturday 5th November

Where? Saltwell Park, East Park Road, Low Fell, Gateshead

Price? £7.25

Rutherford AFC

Again located south of the river, Rutherford FC fireworks display have got tonnes of stuff on from 6pm to 11pm, including a Disney/Marvel theme, fireworks, bonfire, live music DJ set, a pizza van, a toy stall and a face painter. This might be considered a bit childish but who knows what you’re into after a few drinks – no judgement. The only downside is you may need a car or Uber to get there, as it’s located slightly out of town.

When? Saturday 5th November

Where? Rutherford AFC, Farnacres Beggarswood Park, Gateshead, NE11 0HJ

Price? £9 ticket (plus 94p booking fee)

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.