Newcastle student who died from effects of drugs found to have not bought them herself

Jeni Larmour died in student halls in October 2020

A recent inquest has found that Student Jeni Larmour did not buy the drugs which contributed to her death.

The inquest, led by Coroner Karen Dilks, established that Jeni’s death was a result of “unintentional acts and events” and was a misadventure, a balance of probability, ITV reports.

Jeni died on the morning of October 3rd 2020 only a mere few hours after arriving in Newcastle from Newtonhamilton, County Armagh the previous day. Her death was revealed to be the result of effects of alcohol and ketamine.

Newcastle Coroner’s Court has determined that Jeni was under the influence of alcohol when she took ketamine which was likely supplied “by someone else”. Jeni’s mother Sandra said she was relieved to be able to tell the world that Jeni “was innocent”.

Sandra said: “The coroner’s acknowledgement that the drugs were provided to her by another, or in other words, not her own, is of comfort to us, getting out to the world that she was innocent in all of this.

“We’ve had to listen to unbearable evidence throughout this process, that the substances that killed Jeni were her own, and that she engaged wilfully in the supplying of these drugs to others.

“I’ve always known that this could not be further from the truth, particularly given the fact that just a few hours earlier, Jeni had boarded a plane with me from Belfast to Newcastle, meaning that she could never have taken those drugs with her.”

Jeni was found to have had a blood alcohol level of 197mg per 100ml and also had 1.3mg of ketamine per litre of blood when she was found deceased at her university halls at 5:30am.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. You can visit the Frank website or call the Frank drugs helpline on 0300 123 6600.