Six reasons why Jesmond is the best student area in Newcastle

There is literally no argument

There’s always been dispute over where’s deemed the best student area in Newcastle, but we’re here to set the record straight. Don’t get me wrong, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion – but when it comes to the nicest place to live, there is no debate. Jesmond is undoubtedly the best student area in Newcastle and I will not hear any different. Restaurants, pubs, even a leisure centre; it’s literally got everything you could ever want. Here are six reasons why Jesmond holds the crown as the most iconic student area in the Toon.

The numerous independent shops and bakeries

We love a business queen. Jesmond is absolutely full of new and quirky cafes, bakeries and other eateries. We recently got blessed with Pink Lane Bakery opening up on Acorn Road, as well as Nori Ramen House and Brew Bake House. Independent businesses are what make Jesmond unique – who doesn’t like freshly baked pastries and proper coffee shops right on their doorstep.

Osbourne Road

Home to £2 Tuesdays (thanks to Soho Jesmond holding up the fort), Jammy Hour and all things boozy. Osbourne Road is one of the best drinking destinations in Newcastle, mostly because it’s convenient but also as its cheap. The selection of bars is pretty extensive and there’s plenty of outdoor seating to accommodate the majority of the student population who vape. And obviously it’s just good vibes.

Transport links

Living in West Jesmond comes with huge benefits when it comes to public transport and getting into town. You can roll out of bed and literally be sat in your lecture 15 minutes later. The Metro practically escorts you to the club doorstep and runs late enough that if you miss it, it’s too late to go out anyway. A gift.

But additionally, everyone will agree that the absolute best thing about student life in Jesmond is the ability to walk everywhere. Popping out for a cheeky pint is so easy – too easy, in fact. Walking to restaurant reservations is a luxury I had not yet experienced before living here.

We have an Oliver Bonas

Did you read that correctly? I’ll repeat it again in case you didn’t – we have an Oliver Bonas, guys. Supported financially by mostly yummy mummies and the odd students buying Christmas presents for their mum, but still. Any place lucky enough to host an Oliver Bonas must be nice, right?

Jesmond Dene

An obvious contender for the list, Jesmond Dene is so beautiful and we are so lucky to have it basically on our doorstep. Jes Dene is the perfect chill spot for a sunny day, to walk off your hangover or to go and get your daily dose of nature. Pets’ Corner is also massively underrated and is a massive serotonin boost during exam season.

Restaurants and takeaways

Blessed with such an huge selection of restaurants, takeaways and lunch spots, student life Jesmond is very boujie. Acorn Chop Suey House, Rio Brazilian Steakhouse, Pizza Express and Francesca’s are just some of the lush places a stone’s throw away. Again, the convenience of walking to dinner or drinks is unmatched.

The sunsets

Ok, you might see some nice sunsets in Heaton and Sanyford but I’m going to take a leap and say the Jesmond sunsets are better. And what’s more,  you’ll never miss one because Jesmond residents never fail to share a snap on their Instagram or Snapchat stories. Immaculate vibes.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.