Retro arcade bar NQ64 to open in Newcastle this summer

Alcohol and arcade games? What a combo

A new arcade bar, NQ64, will launch in Newcastle this August combining club vibes with retro games, promising to light up the city’s nightlife.

Taking over the former Intermezzo bar on Pilgrim Street, the venue will offer a mix of retro arcade games and classic consoles alongside bespoke cocktails and craft beers.

Their signature neon-filled aesthetic is set to provide an immersive arcade bar experience, the first of its kind in the North East.

Image – NQ64

Following a string of successful venues in as Manchester, Soho and Edinburgh – Newcastle will be NQ64’s ninth UK site.

The venue will see spray painted artwork cover the walls and ceiling that glows under UV lights with a range of original arcade games including Time Crisis, Tekken, Guitar Hero, Mario Kart and Pac-Man.

Classic consoles will include SNES, Megadrive, Gamecube and PlayStation.

Arcades and pinball machines operate on tokens which can be bought from the bar, while their games consoles are all free to play.

A dedicated bar area with booths, stools and space to dance will let you soak up the underground cool vibes to the sound of NQ64’s signature hip-hop and R&B playlist with DJ’s at the weekend.

Taking as much pride in their amazing bar selection, the adult-only venue will offer several game-themed cocktails such as Kirby, Donkey Kolada and the Aku Aku Fruit Punch.

Don’t worry if cocktails aren’t your thing as a selection of craft beer, wine, sodas, and spirits will be on offer too.

Image – NQ64

The venue is sure to become an unmistakable attraction for partygoers in the city when it opens from the first week of August.

First opening in Manchester in 2019, NQ64 have quickly expanded their brand across the UK with an exciting growth mission to bring drinks and gaming together.

NQ64 co-founder, Matthew Robson, said: “Being a born and bred Geordie, opening in Newcastle is particularly special for me. I hope NQ64 will bring a different offering to the city. We specialise in retro gaming and combine it with a banging drinks selection with a backdrop of classic hip hop tunes. See you at the bar.”

While the main bar is available for walk-ins, large groups can book private areas.

Opening hours will be Monday-Friday 4pm-2am, Saturday 12pm-2am and Sunday 12pm-1am.

For more information visit NQ64’s website or follow their Instagram @nq64newcastle.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.