Market Shaker and other Newcastle bars are introducing measures to combat drink spiking

Staff have been briefed to be extra vigilant and welfare training has been given to management staff.

Market Shaker, and its sister venues, have announced safety measures to combat the spread of spiking in Newcastle.

The Newcastle bar took to its social media earlier today to introduce new, proactive measures to fight drink spiking in the city centre.

This comes after a dramatic increase in reports of spiking incidents around the whole of the UK, and in Newcastle, with girls drinks being spiked and even claims of girls being spiked by injection whilst in bars and nightclubs.

Measures include a 50 per cent increase in security staff, with the door team wearing body cams and carrying out increased searches upon entry, additional CCTV has been installed, and free drinks covers and market-leading testing kits available from the bar.

The team also plans to introduce a “vulnerable persons area” which will be designated around the back of the bar and aims to be a safe space for anyone who needs a time out or needs help from staff arranging a taxi or emergency services.

The bar has also briefed staff to be extra vigilant and welfare training has been given to management staff.

A survey by The Tab revealed shocking statistics that over 2,600 young people believe they’ve been spiked already this term

A spokesperson for Market Shaker told The Tab, “We just wanted to ensure that students were aware we knew about what was going on and we’re taking it seriously, the measures we we’re putting in to do our bit to combat it but most of all that we care.”

Student bars, The Dog and Parrot, and Pumphreys share the same owners and are also introducing these same measures with immediate effect.

Market shaker also drew attention to Student Beans recent post about how to recognise that a drink has been spiked or tampered with as a way to stay vigilant in these unprecedented times, however stressed that, ‘the responsibility to stay safe shouldn’t be on you.’

The bar ended its Instagram post with, “Rest assured our team are here and on hand to help you, your friends and everybody else who makes up the shaker community. Your safety and welfare is and always will be our number one priority.’

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.