Your guide to the North East’s famous television and film locations

From ‘Get Carter’ to ‘Vera’, the North East has welcomed some huge television and film crews

Year after year, Newcastle is chosen to be the backdrop of several television shows and films. In this guide, we’ll tell you where you can spot the North East on both the small and big screen, so that you can go recreate the shots yourself! 

Get Carter – Gateshead Trinity Square 

This is probably one of the North East’s most famous films, centred around a London gangster named Jack Carter (Michael Caine), who returns to Newcastle to arrange his brothers funeral. However, once he arrives and decides his brother’s death was a murder, he ends up on a bloody revenge path. One of the most famous scenes in the film is when Jack has an altercation with Cliff Brumby which, spoiler alert, ends with Cliff being thrown from the car park roof. Unfortunately, the car park was demolished in 2010, but is now home to Gateshead’s Trinity Square student accommodation and the huge Tesco which sits beneath. 

Get Carter was filmed all over the North East, having filmed a few scenes and the promotional shots on the High Level bridge.

Michael Caine on the High Level Bridge

Stormy Monday – The High Level Bridge

Stormy Monday – another crime film – was filmed all over Newcastle, featuring some huge names including local music legend Sting, Men in Black star Tommy Lee Jones and Game of Thrones star Sean Bean. We highly recommend watching this film, especially if you like spotting places you’ve been to on the big screen.

The High Level bridge is extremely prominent throughout the film, even starring on the poster. Watch the trailer here, where you can see one of the scenes filmed on the bridge.

Sting and Tommy Lee Jones filming on the High Level Bridge

Vera

ITV’s drama Vera has been filmed in the region for just over ten years. Vera, played by Brenda Blethyn, is a detective who investigates the most gruesome deaths in the North East.

They have practically filmed everywhere in Newcastle, so you’re probably visiting a filming location wherever you’re passing by. In an episode in series nine, Vera investigated a boating death on the River Tyne, taking place on The Quayside. They are currently filming the next series of Vera, so keep your eyes peeled as you may spot Newcastle’s most famous television detective! 

Brenda Blethyn and Kenny Doughty on the Quayside

Inspector George Gently 

BBC’s Inspector George Gently filmed in the region from 2007 until 2017 when, spoiler, the inspector was shot dead before he could investigate any more of the North East’s murders. 

What made Inspector George Gently so interesting was that it was set in the 1960s and 1970s North East, so you get to see Newcastle as it would have looked back then. Again, after filming for more than ten years there aren’t a lot of places where Inspector George Gently wasn’t filmed. Below is one of the publicity shots, taken at the site now home to “By The River Brew Co.” for an episode in the first series that involved Martin Shaw, Lee Ingleby and Neil Morrisey. 

Goal

Goal is definitely one of the most famous films that is set and filmed in Newcastle. 2005’s Goal is centred around aspiring footballer Santiago, who must choose between his passion for football and supporting his family in Mexico. Santiago ends up playing for none other than the mags, NUFC. The film showcases just how beautiful Newcastle is with shots in Tynemouth, St James’ Park and a panoramic view of the city from Byker, which can be seen below. 

Headlam Street in Byker

I, Daniel Blake

Ken Loach is known for his thought provoking films and I, Daniel Blake is no exception to that. The film stars local comic Dave Johns as Daniel Blake, a 59-year-old carpenter who, after having a heart attack, must depend on the corrupt welfare system. Loach holds a mirror up to our current society, leaving the viewer angry and disappointed that Daniel’s situation is happening in real life every day. 

The film received outstanding critical acclaim, and even won an award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2016, sparking major discussion about our welfare system in government. 

The most famous scene comes in the form of Daniel retaliating to the welfare system, plastering “I, Daniel Blake” on his local job centre. Although the building has now been renovated on the outside, you can stand exactly where he took his revenge on John Dobson Street. 

John Dobson Street in Newcastle City Centre

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet has been named as one of the greatest comedies of all time and was one of the first continuing television shows to be filmed in the North East. It follows a group of Geordies who, faced with unemployment, head for Germany in search of construction jobs. Far from home, the men forge friendships and make the best of their circumstances.

One of the most iconic scenes was filmed just off from The Quayside, where Jimmy Nail’s character Oz gives a speech about how you must “never forget your roots”, no matter where you go. The bus stop still stands today, with the Q1 stopping regularly. 

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

Every crystal you need for your Newcastle-student-specific problems

Which Newcastle night out are you based on your Zodiac sign?

The A to Z of thoughts all Newcastle uni students have had this year