Students handed driving bans for drink-driving on e-scooters in Jesmond

One student was almost four times over the legal limit

Six students were arrested in Jesmond at around 5:30am on 25 February following “numerous” complaints from residents that they were intoxicated while operating e-scooters.

The trial took place at North Tyneside Magistrates’ Court, where the Chairman of the Bench, John Doyle, banned five of the students from the road for between 12-30 months and imposed fines. The sixth student was banned for only six months, after the District Judge, Paul Currer, heard he was only riding up to 400 metres to his home.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the alcohol limit for drivers is 35 micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath, and each student was found to have exceeded this limit.

Joseph Vessy, of Jesmond, was found to have 49mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath and was banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay £239 in fines and costs.

Jamie Swain, also from Jesmond, was found to have 73mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath and was banned for six months and ordered to pay £319 in fines and costs.

Rian Dunne, also of Jesmond, failed to provide a full specimen at the police station, but an initial roadside test showed he had 71mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. As a result, he was banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay £239 in fines and costs.

George Richardson, of Newcastle, was found to have 136mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath, resulting in a 30-month ban from driving, and £319 in costs and fines.

William Attridge, also of Newcastle, was shown to have 70ml of alcohol per 100ml, consequently, he was banned for 18 months and ordered to pay £239 in fines and costs.

William McMullen, also of Newcastle, had a reading of 51mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath and was banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay £239 in costs and fees.

None of the students had previous convictions, and five out of the six opted to take a rehabilitation course to reduce the length of their bans.

At the time, the e-scooters were still available to be used throughout the night, however, the company has since changed this resulting in a curfew between 11pm and 5am. Since the court cases, Newcastle City Council has reminded users to behave safely.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

Talking electric scooters are being trialled in Newcastle to cut carbon emissions