Newcastle University has pushed back all student deadlines by a week

There are high demands for a safety net to be introduced due to the current UK lockdown

Newcastle University has postponed all student deadlines in January by a week.

Students have been complaining about being snowed under, not only by the recent snowfall in Newcastle but also by their pressing deadlines, with many due in the first two weeks of January.

Students have received a notification via Canvas, informing them of this decision, with an email from the Academic Registrar set to follow.

Although the postponing of deadlines may be helpful to some students, there has been various petitions and demands for a safety net to be put into place as many feel disadvantaged by the current lockdown situation and feel online learning has hindered their studies. Some students also feel this decision has come too late and should have been made earlier in light of the situation.

There is a question over whether more concessions will be made or whether Newcastle University feels this concession is adequate.

At least we can all take a snow day for now … but I am sure we will have to be back in the library by tomorrow!

Want to break stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

Newcastle Uni to refund students for entire time they’re not living in uni accommodation

A petition calling for a safety net for Newcastle students has over 1,500 signatures

‘We were lied to’: Newcastle students vow to withhold thousands in rent strike against uni