Northumbria students banned from returning home for lockdown

Students ‘must not move back and forward’

The Vice-Chancellor of Northumbria University has instructed students to remain in their term-time addresses for the duration of lockdown, announcing that students should not move back to their homes.

In an email sent regarding Covid-19, the university told students that this is merely in accordance with Government Guidelines announced on October 31st.

Students were however reminded that “Covid-secure study spaces on campus, including the library, will remain open, while a range of educational activities and student support will continue in person”.

The email continued: “We expect to receive further guidance from the Department for Education on end-of-term arrangements in the coming weeks and will keep you updated”.

While students have voiced their frustration at the ruling, it is yet to be seen how many people will adhere to it it. To some, this instruction comes across as just another demand from a university that has been criticised for a perceived lack of communication and support for students during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Some students believe it is simply not feasible for them to stay in their university accommodation over a second lockdown, with many citing the financial implications of this and the effect it may have on students’ mental health. For students who have already spent two weeks in isolation, an extra four weeks would mean nearly half of their time at uni has been locked in their accommodation.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.