More than 1000 Newcastle students have tested positive for coronavirus

The university has seen a huge rise in cases

Newcastle University has reported over 1000 new cases of students testing positive for COVID-19 in the past week, a substantial increase from 94 cases the previous week.

The university has reported 1003 cases among students and 12 staff from the 1st to 7th October. The statistics show that the week before had only 94 positive cases for students and 7 staff.

At this time we do not know how many of those reporting a positive case are experiencing symptoms.

Newcastle University UCU stated: “That’s pretty substantial, especially as we know how asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission are likely going to grow exponentially through the first bit of our increased Tier 3 levels. The damage is already done.”

This news follows the announcement from Northumbria university that 770 students have tested positive, where only 78 of these were symptomatic.

Both Newcastle and Northumbria university announced that all non-essential teaching is to be moved online as of the 8th October, as they have agreed to move to Tier 3 of the Department for Education’s guidance on the delivery of teaching, in a bid to minimise cases among students and staff.

If you experience any of the following symptoms you are required to self isolate and book a test:

• You have any symptoms of coronavirus – a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or loss/change to your sense of smell or taste

• You have tested positive for coronavirus

• You have with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive

• Someone in your support bubble has symptoms or tested positive

• You have been told to self isolated by Test and Trace or the COVID-19 app

• You arrive in the UK from a country with a high coronavirus risk

If you are self-isolating you must not leave your home for any reason for at least 10-14 days.