Northumbria Police patrol student halls and search rooms after student drug deaths

Police presence has been constant at the university halls since Saturday night

Northumbria Police are patrolling student halls and searching rooms after four suspected drug-related deaths last weekend, three of which were students at Newcastle and Northumbria University.

Police have since confirmed that drugs including ketamine and MDMA are suspected to have been a factor in the deaths and a total of 11 arrests have been made.

Chief Inspector Steve Wykes responded to this news by ensuring that Northumbria Police would continue their work with both universities, “increasing our patrols in the areas where these tragedies have occurred”.

Josie, a first-year Marketing student currently living at Park View told The Newcastle Tab: “I feel like everyone is being a bit more cautious after hearing about the news and seeing the police coming in and out since then, it seems surreal that it happened in this accommodation.”

First year Josie is currently living at Park View

“The police have been parked outside Park View blocks most nights since we have been here and students are getting their room searched for drugs.

“My flatmates and I moved in the day the news came out, so all of our parents were quite reluctant to leave us and I think people have been messaging home a lot more frequently than if it hadn’t happened to let them know they’re okay.”

Northumbria Police have been contacted for comment.

If you have been affected by the contents of this article, Newcastle University’s Wellbeing services are available here.

For honest information about drugs, visit talktofrank.com.

Similar stories recommended by this writer:

Tributes pour in after loss of ‘bright, talented’ Newcastle student Jeni Larmour

Petition calls for free drug testing kits to be made available to all Newcastle students

Eleventh arrest made following drug-related deaths of three students