Breaking News

BREAKING: Newcastle to gain new lockdown-like restrictions from Friday

You can now only socialise with those you live with

From tomorrow night new lockdown-like restrictions will be in place in the North East, the government has announced.

These restrictions include:

Table service only in bars and pubs

Bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes to close at 10pm

Delivery service only for takeaways after 10pm

• Households meeting with other households outside of social bubbles banned

• Restrictions on major events

These rules are an attempt to prevent wider spread in the three main areas of concern: bars and pubs, homes, and grassroots sport.

The restrictions are being put in place in Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Gateshead, Sunderland and County Durham. Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced these new rules this morning in the House of Commons, due to the North East’s rise in COVID-19 cases. In the last fortnight, Newcastle alone has had 350 new cases, with the rate being 116.3 cases per population of 100,000. 

Leader of Newcastle City Council, Nick Forbes, has said that the council has asked the government for “additional temporary restrictions” after becoming “very concerned about the exponential rise in the number of COVID-19 cases across the North East”.

More to follow.

Want to break stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.